Chimp & See Talk

Organizing the Chimp ID posts

• Quia by Quia moderator

I am just thinking aloud here, trying to think up ways that would help to make the board more readable. I am finding it really difficult to keep track of unknown chimps and find matches, generally I have to go through a lot of posts trying to find videos that have the same features visible to compare. Please feel free to chime in on how you're using the chimp ID boards and how you think they could be better organized!

What makes a good chimp ID title?

Gender, Age, Features visible, Location? Possible matches to known chimps?

ie

M Juv, face and left ear visible, possibly ABjuv12

F Adult, back and rear visible, crossing bridge

What about Content?

Description of visible features? Links to any other videos around this one with the same chimp? Pictures of the best frames for ID?

Mod actions

Mods, both volunteer(that's me 😃) and scientist, can..

• Change post titles, so could put that information into existing titles
    • Merge topics. Sometimes there are multiple posts discussing videos that turn out to be the same chimp, in videos that are adjacent to one another. Merging these would definitely cut down on the clutter, but I do worry about people losing track of their posts.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

This is a good discussion to have. I don't have too many thoughts, as this process has (to my great joy) evolved tremendously from the vision kick-off that I put together.

You folks know it better know than I do. I can tell you what Talk can and can't do (we sort of have to make do with the features that we have, at least right now), but I'll leave this process of building and growing... well, the process... mostly in your very capable hands! 😃

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Do we have any other tools that I didn't mention there? I'm not intimately familiar with the mod toolset.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Well, you're already using tag groups (keyword collections), and there are ordinary collections as well... I think we're using just about everything that Talk lets us use right now!

There is something I learned about hashtags the other day that I want to promote widely at some point (probably in the next day or two, once we get up the "all chimp videos" lists from QW1, which will be a huge boon to the chimp-ID process). Hashtags are actually weighted by the number of times a single object has been assigned the same hashtag... it's not a "one-and-done" thing. So if ten people add #anne to the same video, and one person adds #bob -- the system will consider it far more likely that the chimp is Anne.

Basically, people can vote for chimp IDs by re-adding the hashtags. This may be a useful feature for sorting out incorrect tags without having to delete anyone's comments.

Posted

• jafuli by jafuli

I just posted something along these lines yesterday. I find the boards+hashtag interface not really adapted for IDing chimps, plus the fact the favorites and recents are not coherently sorted :

so that makes it more difficult to find again the video ; to compare the pictures, you need to open several windows (and I have 2 screens) ; etc

in fact, and I know it's easier written than done/paid/etc , I think it would be good to have some kind of interface/ergonomy similar to the main one : several pictures on the same window, possibilities to compare different videos by adjusting these pictures, etc.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator in response to jafuli's comment.

A separate interface would be heavenly, but you hit the nail on the head, it'd be a whole new project to develop... so we have what we have, and it works alright but we could definitely improve the process! I was hoping to brainstorm some ideas on how to make use of the tools we have.

Posted

• Astro_Max by Astro_Max

There is a definite need for a better identifying process for known chimps.Just a thought... You dont neccessarily need to have a seperate interface if you just start a moderator edit only page in talk called "identify your chimp" or something to the same effect, for known chimps in each site. After selecting the link you would choose the site your subject appeared in. A couple of photos or videos with noticable traits noted of the known subjects along with their names would be posted on individual threads sorted by Gender, age , etc. Gender seems to be the easiest feature to notice for the newbie (which includes me). My thought is the easier we can access already classified chimps the easier it will be for the more veteran classifiers to help with the common chimps. Not sure if there is something available like this at this time but if so I have not found it yet. Once you have the basic database we can use the hashtag system to mark "IDChimp" If we need help with the identity of a chimp that was spotted. The users will most likely be very good at identifying a chimp they have already come across so if one can search Idchimp tags, they could help a fellow classifier with their post. Once the veterans weed out the reoccuring chimps you can start observing the good quality images of the prospective which no one can identify. Not sure if this will be any help but either way we do need an easy way to browse the known chimps. Thanks for the great project though, definately well worth the time.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator in response to Astro_Max's comment.

We have the 'known chimps' boards already! Can you think of a better place to feature them so they're easier to find?

For example, this is the 'Known Chimps' board for Red Water 6. There are a lot of them. http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000h/discussions/DCP00000r9

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Hi Guys

this is all really helpful!

What we want to try next is have a day or 2 delay before we let everyone start matching chimps. This will make it easier for us to buildup the initial prospective chimp page from the identified chimps from the first step of animal classification so that once you guys start seeing new chimp videos you will have something to compare your clips to. I hope this will then reduce the amount of comparing we have to do between different threads then!

Thanks for pointing out the ability to merge threads, i will have to look more into that to get more familiar with how that can work!

Posted

• Astro_Max by Astro_Max

Hahaha thanks Quia. Mistook those threads for discussion boards of the sites... whoops. Guess I should have looked a little harder, my mistake. I don't see an issue the boards current location either. Its the first page when you hit discuss, so other than a seperate tab altogether, ( which I understand is not always feasible or neccessary ) it's probably the best place fot it. Thanks for the quick response and your hard work.

Posted