Chimp & See Talk

The Official Chimp and Primate Video List!

• DZM by DZM admin

Chimp & See folks! It's been a long time coming, but I'm happy to finally be able to announce:

THE OFFICIAL CHIMP VIDEO LIST!

This list shows all completed videos, at each site, with a majority agreement that they contain at least one chimp. It should update on a daily basis.

I hope that this will be an extremely useful tool for Chimp ID going forward, both for future sites and for ones already completed. Just at a quick look, I'm noticing that there are many videos from Quiet Wood that have not yet been hashtagged. So here are a bunch more videos to look through and hopefully match to both prospective and known chimps!

I also wanted to add an important note about hashtags, now that we have this list: Adding the same hashtag multiple times is a good thing.

Here's why: if a video is hashtagged as "#janedoe" once and "#johndoe" once, the data isn't clear in the data which tag is correct. But if it is hashtagged as #janedoe by eight different people and #johndoe by only one, then the data knows that it's probably Jane! So if there are incorrect name hashtags (or even if there are not), it is a very good idea for other classifiers to add the correct hashtag more times in new comments.

Let me know if anyone has any questions. Thanks, all!

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Hooray! 😄 Time to go play and see what we can find!

Not sure how useful this will be, but I've started it for the QW and CS videos. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VuVWXWdZHB6p11qpCxIweWFstwgFavT1e5iazqajrlQ/edit?usp=sharing

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I'm hoping that we can get as many people as possible to start playing with this list! 😃

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Well, after going through the 170 Quiet Wood chimp videos looking for good ID videos we missed, I decided to do a little bit of magic on the Cool Silence videos to make it easier.

Assuming I haven't messed up somewhere, all the Cool Silence videos should be sorted by camera/date, and they have all the talk tags exported, too. Hopefully this makes it easier for people to find the videos they're looking for!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

@Quia - that google doc is AMAZING and exactly what we need - thank you!!!!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Fantastic, Quia. Thanks so much.

I believe that the site that we built will continue to auto-populate on a daily basis... What will that mean for your Google doc? Will you have to keep manually importing videos, or can you set it up to work automatically?

If the latter, then that pretty much makes your document the new go-to.

Amazing example of volunteers one-upping us. 😃 (in the best possible way!!)

(EDIT: Also, will your document automatically update... if new tags are added, for instance?)

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator in response to DZM's comment.

I can set it up to stay up to date as new videos get added to the site you built, and for new tags that are added to the videos. One more function to get everything updating. I bet google docs has a nice API for pulling down data from spreadsheets, that should make it easier to automate daily updates...

An example of what your crazy volunteers will do when you give them access to the data 😉

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to Quia's comment.

That's why we do it! 😄

Posted

• Astro_Max by Astro_Max

For sure, Great Job! Would be awesome to have it automatically update but I bet that's easier said then done.

It would most likely have to be a table integrated into the zooniverse site which mean back to the drawing board again (unless certain zoonies were given access to the google doc to manually add the data).

Either way, I, and im sure many more, appreciate the effort you put into it. I know making spreadsheets can get very dry... keep up the good work!

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Got everything set up for updating the video list and talk tags now!

@Astro_Max Everyone can add data to the google doc, it's editable by everyone, so please go ahead and add more information!

Posted

• Astro_Max by Astro_Max

That's great news @Quia ! Its people like you that raise the bar and make zooniverse projects like this a success. For that I commend you.

I am new to the google docs world and can't seem to find how to add content. I was trying to do so using google chrome, do I need to use google drive or something comparable? Thanks again

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator in response to Astro_Max's comment.

You should be able to edit it no matter what browser you are using. The first four columns(ID, Time, Link, Tags) are not editable because they're auto generated, everywhere else is fair game for adding information you think will help for ID!

Posted

• Aqua_Fairy by Aqua_Fairy

@Quia it's a great document it really helps to find easy access to information!! Awesome work! But I wonder about the date/time stamp where did you get that data from because it doesn't seem to match with the date/time shown in the right lower corner of the videos?

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator in response to Aqua_Fairy's comment.

I too noticed that the dates don't always match, but they do seem to be in the right order, definitely a step up from the ID order! I got the data from the filenames the videos are made from, they generally have a date and a 'nth video today' number. It's notsecretbutnotexactlypublic information, if you (or anyone!) is interested in building more tools, let me know and I can point you in the right direction. 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Quia (and everyone), a thought: if we see extra "name" tags attached to the same video, that don't apply to the chimps that are there, it would be good for people who know the correct name to hashtag that correct name a few more times so that it's very clear to the data-reduction which is the correct chimp.

A good way to see that would be looking at your list of tags in your Google doc. Thoughts?

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

I will make an effort to add a few more correct tags to the few chimps that have been mistagged... I really didn't notice that many, the worst culprit I've found so far is Abile being tagged as Anne. Two young, female, tool wielding juveniles who frequent the same spots and are only a little different in size. So far everyone's been pretty shy about putting names on chimp if they're not sure.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

FYI, you can now add more IDs in column A. Relevant for currently active areas RW6 and MF7. 😃 I wanted to take a look at more of the RW6 data and was getting tired of waiting for the videos to be finished!

I've added all clips already tagged with: Alia, Anganeta, Amelia, Ilo, Ada, Olga, Honey, Sugar, popular_rock, and this collection: CCPS0000pa. If there's a collection I've missed of RW6 chimps, let me know, it takes about 30 seconds for me to get all the IDs out of a collection. If they're not in a collection, I have no clever tricks and you will be just as quick as me.

When you add an ID, time/link/tags will get filled in automatically once a day. It also gets sorted into chronological order, my favorite part! I'm looking forward to figuring out just how many chimps use that popular rock site.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Something was wrong with the way I was fetching new subjects from the identified chimp list site. I fixed it, so we should be all good now. :\

There are about 100 more videos from RW6 and 10 more from MF7. A quick look at RW6 shows lots of videos that were missing from sequences and some new faces. Almost every video had a note of some sort in the spreadsheet before, so if you're looking for new ones, look for the lack of notes!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

In the spreadsheet (Muddy Frost 7) the former names of individuals disappeared. As we discussed them for quite long time only with this ID, it will get difficult to reconstruct about whom we discussed where. Why did we delete them and where this was discussed?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

And tags are gone too.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Those two columns have just been hidden by someone working on the sheet. There are little horizontal arrows up by the column letters to show them again.

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Sorry!!! That was totally me -- my screen isn't that wide and I've been working in column J

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

HI guys - in case anything disastrous ever happens to the lists - we do a backup at the end of each week so going back should not be a big issue.

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Thanks ( @Quia ?) for getting the tags added directly to this page. SUPER helpful!!!

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

We have Primate data! There's a few more of videos of them than chimpanzees!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Mf8GlpPoD-AHABSyLnPAFC1uPBkXCwyuAzL5uD3SVrU/

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Awesome! Thanks @Quia!

Posted