Chimp & See Talk

CHIMPS DESCRIPTION CRITERIA

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

In order to ease and stardardize our chimp descriptions, this list might be useful:

1. BODY: big, small, robust, skinny, round...

2. SEX: male / female / unknown

3. FACE: beard (color, no beard, etc), tufts, muzzle shape (big, pronounced lower lip, etc), nostrils (big, small, large, etc), forehead (wide, etc), pigmentation (spots, dark/whitish areas, etc), shape (narrow, elongated, round, etc), eyebrows (protruded, round, straight, dips, etc)

4. EARS: regular, big, small, presenting cuts, folded...

5. FUR: color, thick, light...

6. REMARKABLE TRAITS: limb, ear missing, etc.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

This is very helpful! Thank you, @NuriaM

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

Yes, a very helpful reminder, thank you!! And @Quia is gathering some additional tips regarding ages, swellings, etc. We'll all be pros in no time... 😉

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Speaking of being pros, I'll point out that identifying chimps is definitely a skill that has to be learned and practiced, so no one should feel bad if at first they think many of them look the same! It's hard! When I worked at a zoo with a group of 6 chimps, they expected people to take at least a few weeks of watching them to be able to ID them confidently -- and that was with only 6 animals, with known identity, and someone guiding them along the way!

So I think everyone is doing a great job learning/practicing this skill, and I hope we all continue with it! : )

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

There was a picture from Jane Goodall's original notes on how to ID chimps on facebook today 😃 https://www.facebook.com/originstoriespodcast/photos/pcb.955232401189358/955232264522705/

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Love it! Wish I could draw a chimp (or anything really) that looked even vaguely like it was supposed to 😃

Posted