Chimp & See Talk

Going back through some old sites... ?

• DZM by DZM admin

Hey Chimp ID folks,

First of all, I just wanted to say, THANK YOU all so much. I gave a presentation on Chimp ID at an advisory board meeting on Thursday and people were all absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the fact that you citizen scientists can do this. They were incredibly happy that this is happening, and we want to take some lessons from it going forward for future citizen science projects as well. You guys rock!!

Secondly, as this came up, I was curious if anyone has yet taken some time to start going through some of the early sites in the Chimp video list and started seeing if any of those old videos match chimps that were IDed later down the road. There are still many of those old videos without positive IDs... so there may still be chimps to find and name there!! Anyone up for that?

Just curious. I know that new sites are exciting, but we've got all chimps all the time in those chimp lists, and your help is still needed there, too! 😃

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to DZM's comment.

Hi DZM,

great to hear that. I actually had the impression (yes, from the science team) that the old sites are closed and it is not necessarily a good idea to bother with IDs in these. I am actually going through the old sites whenever I have time (as I did not see the first three ones), but did only for myself. But that's only my impression.

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I very briefly looked at some of the old site sheets, but having joined C&S around the end of red water, it's kind of intimidating to see hundreds of completely unfamiliar videos/chimps all in one giant list -- that's not to say I won't take a stab at it, just that I haven't worked up the nerve to dig in just yet ; )

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I don't think they're closed! 😃 They do need processing -- that's the whole reason that we built those lists of known chimps.

Perhaps I shouldn't speak for Mimi and the rest of the team, and I have noticed that they've talked about the "end" of some sites, but at least in my opinion, it would be really important to keep going back through those old videos and keep analyzing them to find more matches!

I'll wait for Mimi to weigh in too, though!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Here I am 😃

Yes, let's go back, great idea! But since we definitely need a science moderator we'll have to do it site by site, so let's start with Quiet Wood and once that site is done we can move on to cool silence which either Paula or Nuria can moderate depending on the status of Lingering Shape. Please be patient with us as we go backwards a bit, since we'll do it at a slightly more relaxed pace than the "live" sites 😃

@AnLand please feel very free to ask us whenever you aren't sure about what data we want, we usually want it all 😃

cheers!

Posted

• hoothoot by hoothoot

Just out of curiosity, is going through old sites still on and if so, which site are we currently on 😃 ? I really don't want to mess things up for everyone by starting at the wrong place, lol.

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

I thought the old sites were done as well. All i see now is restless-star. is that the only "live" site now?

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Restless Star is the only site with videos currently in classification, but I think hoothoot was asking about chimp matching discussions at old sites. I think we're not revisiting any old sites right now, but maybe the science team can clarify the plans?

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi all,

the sites (in this "talk part") are always available and happy to hear new match proposals or any questions/suggestion.
    Don't hesitate to post there.

Please be patient if we don't reply very quick, that would be just because we didn't realize about the new post. You can also send us a messages to notify us if you want.

Great that we are re-checking old sites!
    Thanks all

Posted