Chimp & See Talk

Chimp Rumps

• mkavooss by mkavooss

Would it be possible to post some photos with gender id captions of chimp rumps? I can tell the obvious female rump - but often I'm not sure if I'm mistaking one thing for another in other cases, especially with juveniles. I've tried searching the net but haven't found what I'm looking for.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

this should help a bit, there are some links in here 😃 https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP0000001/discussions/DCP00000wu

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I just start with a collage of some female rumps. Hope that helps!

enter image description here

Posted

• mkavooss by mkavooss

Thank you this is very helpful. If you have time some males will be great too. Thanks!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to mkavooss's comment.

I will work on it during the weekend! No problem.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

OK, here is the male version. As I used some more pictures for illustration, I did not write any annotations in the grid.

The first two rows show males as full adults. Testicles mostly seen, a sexual swelling as in females fully absent.

The third row shows young males - on the far right a younger juvenile, more left different stages of adolescence and young adulthood. A young adult male reaches the body height of full adults, but is generally leaner. The bigger muscle mass - e.g. favorable for displays - will be acquired later. Juveniles are around 50% of the size of a full adult. Adolescents (a category that is not used by the science team here) are approx. two thirds of the size of a full adult. In adolescence, the testicles descend and become visible to us. We categorize juveniles and adolescents as "youth".

The last row shows the front view of maleness, the penis, in an infant and some adults.

I hope this helps a bit with classification and for matching purposes. If not, please ask again for more support.

[Click on the image for a bigger version]

one

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Awesome collages @AnLand 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

Agree with @Boleyn these are good reference examples, thanks @AnLand.

Posted