Chimp & See Talk

Technical question about Bushnells

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

@Quia wrote:

Science team, correct me if I'm wrong!

From what I've gathered, the cameras do not record continuously. They trigger(motion, IR, something) and record for one minute. Then they don't trigger for some length of time, I've noticed gaps of 1-5 minutes depending on the camera.

I imagine this is done to avoid filling up the memory cards of the cameras too quickly, much better to get every other minute than have the storage on the camera fill up months before you can get to it again and get the data.

There's probably also some actual technical limits involved, if the videos are recorded faster than the camera can write the data, they do have to pause.. Not for minutes at a time, but unfortunately we can't have high quality, no gaps video from a camera that can survive being left out in the jungle for years. I'd go for higher resolution data over constant video, anyways. 😃

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Hi Quia - actually the videos keep recording continuously (in 1 minute bouts) as long as something is moving in front of them, we often have 30 minute long nut cracking sequences. The memory card issue is not such a big deal and neither are the batteries either, our site managers go out once a month to download videos and change batteries and rarely are the batts dead nor are the cards full.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Hrrrrrrmmm.. so, why are there gaps? Here's a particular obvious example, where there definitely was movement in that missing minute. 😃 It doesn't look like there's another file in between these two.

Posted

I checked the time stamp on both videos and one starts at 13.57 and the other at 13.58, so i think it may have been in the small processing time delay (as you mentioned) that that female came and presented to the male, chimpanzee sex is not very long so this seems like the best explanation to me.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

So there is some processing time in between each recording? It only takes a few seconds for a chimp to get up and leave the FOV, I guess that's what's going on here:

http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000j/discussions/DCP0000509

Five chimps seen entering, three seen leaving, the other two mysteriously vanish, aka get up and go within the time the camera is not recording. I've noticed quite a few 'hey where'd you go?' moments.

Posted

I am not sure if it is each recording or some subset of each, but it should be just some seconds missing if any.

Posted