Chimp & See Talk

Statistics

• Jens_Ulrik by Jens_Ulrik

I've only been here some 4 days but I think I've now seen enough small duikers to last me a lifetime. 😃 To see just how often each animal type appears, I noted down the results of my last 100 videos:

Nothing there: 14
    Human: 9
    Small duiker: 41 53%
    Monkey: 9 12%
    Red river hog: 6 8%
    Mongoose: 5 6%
    Squirrel: 4 5%
    Bird: 4 5%
    Rat: 2 3%
    Porcupine: 2 3%
    Chimps: 2 3%
    Jentinks duiker: 1 1%
    Bat: 1 1%

So, "Nothing there" or "Humans" made up 23% of the total.(This is actually very good compared to Snapshot Serengeti where this was at least 50%). Of the remaining videos, which actually had animals in them, some 53% were of small duikers! No wonder every other video seems to be a small duiker.

A couple of questions:

1. With such an apparent abundance of duikers, why are there so few videos of leopards? Or any other predator able to take down a small duiker?
    2. Will the science team be doing any statistical breakdowns similar to above? Quite a number of such breakdowns were done at Snapshot Serengeti and then shown in their blog. Very interesting stuff!

Posted

• Jens_Ulrik by Jens_Ulrik in response to Jens Ulrik's comment.

Hmm. The formatting didn't work. A new try:

Small duiker: 41 53%
    Monkey: 9 12%
    Red river hog: 6 8%
    Mongoose: 5 6%
    Squirrel: 4 5%
    Bird: 4 5%
    Rat: 2 3%
    Porcupine: 2 3%
    Chimps: 2 3%
    Jentinks duiker: 1 1%
    Bat: 1 1%

Posted

• Jens_Ulrik by Jens_Ulrik in response to Jens Ulrik's comment.

I give up.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Jens Ulrik's comment.

Yeah, formatting is a pain here. You need to let an empty line (you can see in "show preview" how it will look. And you can modify your own postings with "edit").

I always wanted to take note just for fun, but was too lazy ...

From what I know: yes, the science team will analyze everything. Not necessary themselves, but partly with collaborators. Leopards are especially important as it is thought that they are actually predators going after chimps. In my opinion and without actually taking note, there are more leopard sightings at Muddy Frost 7 than on the other sites, we've seen before.

I think, the science can say much more ...

Thanks for the analysis!!!

Posted

• DataDroid by DataDroid moderator

In order to have line breaks show, you need to use the HTML <BR> tag.

Here

are

different

lines.

Posted

• Jens_Ulrik by Jens_Ulrik

Thanks, DataDroid. My last attempt of my post below:

I've only been here some 4 days but I think I've now seen enough small duikers to last me a lifetime. 😃 To see just how often each animal type appears, I noted down the results of my last 100 videos:

Small duiker: 41

Monkey: 9

Red river hog: 6

Mongoose: 5

Squirrel: 4

Bird: 4

Rat: 2

Porcupine: 2

Chimps: 2

Jentinks duiker: 1

Bat: 1

So, "Nothing there" or "Humans" made up 23% of the total.(This is actually very good compared to Snapshot Serengeti where this was at least 50%). Of the remaining videos, which actually had animals in them, the breakdown is given below:

Small duiker: 53%

Monkey: 12%

Red river hog: 8%

Mongoose: 6%

Squirrel: 5%

Bird: 5%

Rat: 3%

Porcupine: 3%

Chimps: 3%

Jentinks duiker: 1%

Bat: 1%

A couple of questions:

1. With such an apparent abundance of duikers, why are there so few videos of leopards? Or any other predator able to take down a small duiker?
    2. Will the science team be doing any statistical breakdowns similar to above? Quite a number of such breakdowns were done at Snapshot Serengeti and then shown in their blog. Very interesting stuff!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to Jens Ulrik's comment.

These numbers are interesting -- thank you for doing this! I don't have the answer to your question about predators. However, I'm pretty sure the science team (or their collaborators) will be doing a ton of statistical analysis on the data. It may not come for quite a while, though, since we're fairly early on in the classifying.

Posted