Chimp & See Talk

Charging

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Is this charging behavior? I am not totally sure what charging behavior is (I only read about it and could not find a youtube source). There are several videos like this when a male harasses another one (or chases him if that's the right word) and I am not sure what it is and if that is charging whether we should tag it and with what. This other one ACP00000nk I had in mind that is now newly tagged with display. That might be more correct, of course. I just don't know.

Posted

• maureenmccarthy by maureenmccarthy scientist, moderator

Hi @AnLand - I would not call this a charge. Charging behavior is generally characterized by a full run involving chasing or running toward another individual. You can see that the male in this clip has piloerect hair, so it could be tagged piloerect, but because he really is not running as we would see with an aggressive charging behavior, I would not classify it that way. I will try to find a good charging video clip that we can use for comparison's sake. Hope this helps! 😃

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to maureenmccarthy's comment.

Thanks @maureenmccarthy, I was not sure that's why I asked. OK, there should be a bit more running, not only harassing the other one. I will modify my tag to piloerect and look further for some charging. Thanks again!

Posted