Chimp & See Talk

#habituated

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

As I had today some gorilla videos, I wanted to ask what came already several times into my mind: The gorillas are observed and followed by humans and obviously habituated at this site (at least we saw them and the researchers with several cameras), while we did not see this with the chimps ... does that mean that the chimpanzees are not habituated to human presence and are that's why often so "nervous" at this site? (At least that is my impression. Although the "nervousness" could also be caused by the presence of the gorillas ... or elephants ..., I don't know.)

What do you think (and know)?

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

I am not sure about the nervousness issue but these chimps have not been intentionally habituated to human presence, but as you have observed, some of the gorillas have been.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

Thanks! Yes, the question was only about the habituation issue.

The "nervousness" is just a thought as I have the feeling that the chimps here are reacting more (than on other sites) to external clues (external to the visible group). They observe, get out of the way, looking around (or listening) more than I have seen at other sites. And in many cases it does not seem to be a (direct) camera reaction.

Well, we had rarely such a great and manifold footage of a group acting together and individuals interacting, of course.

It just catched my eye and is at least something interesting as this is indeed a site with an obviously more "benign" human pressure in form of researchers, tourists, and maybe also more park rangers. (But no leopards around, I think.)

Posted