Chimp & See Talk

Filou in a Movie? Aged Violet

• mkavooss by mkavooss

Was the Disney movie Chimpanzee filmed at the Aged Violet site? The chimp they call Freddy (the male that adopts the juvenile they call Oscar) looks so much like Filou.

Also, what sub species of pan troglodyte are the chimps in aged violet?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Hi @mkavooss,

the subspecies here at Aged Violet are Western chimpanzees Pan troglodytes verus.

And - yes, I think so too. πŸ˜ƒ But please keep in mind that his name here is different and we actually have a Freddy at a different site!

Cheers!

Posted

• mkavooss by mkavooss

What struck me the most are the close up shots of his head - and his ears. In the film the chimp has a deformed right ear and a split on the top of the left ear. I don't know if this film was shot in the same area the whole time but if so I imagine there are other identifiable chimps from this site in the movie. As for 'Oscar', I am assuming this would be Marlyn if in fact the adult male is Filou. And by the way, how do you pronounce "Tai"?

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Hi @mkavooss

Normally the science team is super happy to answer any and all questions abot anything BUT when it comes to site locations we like/need to keep this hidden, so I will sort of skip the main meat of your question for this reason πŸ˜‰ I will say you should be VERY proud of your chimp matching skills already πŸ˜‰

To better understand why we keep the sites hidden check out:

What you should know, and as you already suspected, the magic of hollywood does not reflect the same situation you see with the camera traps (aka reality). The chimps in the movie are actually west and east african chimps and filmed at 2 different research sites PLUS the landscape shots are from Gabon πŸ˜‰ On top of that, the chimps are not consistent throughout the whole movie, so using the movie as a guide will certainly add confusion to any matching attempts. For that reason too, the science team won't weigh in on any matches you guys want to discuss from the movie in case you guys wanna continue the conversation πŸ˜‰

Tai is prounced like Thai (Thai-land, Thai food) and the proper spelling is actually TaÏ (#funfact) - this often lead to some very confusing conversations when we used to have a Gibbon research site in Thailand in our department as well as the Tai site in Ivory Coast πŸ˜‰

Posted

• mkavooss by mkavooss

Thanks for pointing that out and I totally agree. Keeping them safe is the absolute number one priority. God bless all the people who work so diligently to protect them. Is there a thread about anti-poaching efforts on this site and how people around the world can help?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Thanks for posting about this movie, @mkavooss
    it was a real visual delight to see Marlyn & Filou (when we see those actual chimps) and the other chimps and the African landscape with such clarity. Had to mute the inane narration numerous times but what stunning images. Big props to the camera crew for dragging all that equipment around the forest for months. Of course big props to the scientists who do the same thing! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Hi again πŸ˜ƒ

A few resources to get you started:

here is a list of the organizations we are working with that are doing great work with African forest conservation: http://panafrican.eva.mpg.de/english/links.php

We've also had good discussions about hunting: https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000c/discussions/DCP0000dzf

and here: https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000d/discussions/DCP0000gqs

and snaring here: https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000k/discussions/DCP00009bq

Please feel free to add to any of the discussion threads if you have questions πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to mkavooss's comment.

One thing that is easy to do if you shop at Amazon.com - their smile program lets you choose an organization to receive a small percentage of each Amazon purchase. I picked Ngogo Chimps, one of the organizations on the pan african.eva orgs. list above. Link:

http://tinyurl.com/zo6bmpd

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

I like that πŸ˜„

Posted

• carolrowney by carolrowney

Hi, I'm a researcher with the Ngogo Chimpanzee Project, one of the two chimp communities featured in DisneyNature's Chimpanzee. If you liked the footage from Chimpanzee, you should check out the Ngogo chimp-specific documentary that's coming out through Discovery in May called "Rise of the Warrior Apes." It's amazing!

I also wanted to send a quick note to thank you for selecting Ngogo to receive your Amazon Smile contributions! We use 100% of all donations to fund our year-round anti-poaching patrols, which directly protect chimps and other animals throughout Kibale National Park, so every cent we raise goes far. We also have Amazon links on our website - ngogochimpanzeeproject.org. If you click over to Amazon through these, our conservation program receives between 4-7% of however much you spend and it costs you nothing.

Thanks again and all my very best,
    Carolyn Rowney

Posted

• mkavooss by mkavooss

Are the chimps in Ngogo also pan troglodytes verus?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

No, at Ngogo you have Eastern chimps: Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii.

Posted