Chimp & See Talk

Errors in classification

• StarwatcherHB by StarwatcherHB

A couple of times I have guessed at the animal due to either it being in the distance and hard to see or near the edge of a clip leaving or entering scene but it is not until I have classified and gone onto the discuss page that I am able to look at the clips either side of the one I have classified (and found I have classified incorrectly). Could that option be available on the classifying screen instead?

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to StarwatcherHB's comment.

Hi, @StarwatcherHB! My understanding is that it isn't technically possible. I guess the system wasn't designed to support viewing sequential data, but rather to support each clip being judged independently. It's okay, though! If you want to look at the adjacent clips and add the correct or more specific hashtags in "Talk," you can do that. Later, the project team can combine all of the data, so it will all be useful.

Posted

• drobinso by drobinso

That happens to me a lot. It's kind of embarrassing sometimes to see what my initial classification was after I've had a chance to view other clips. And I don't understand why, but I seem to have better quality on the videos when I access them from the discussion page. I know it doesn't make any sense, but there it is.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to drobinso's comment.

Hi @drobinso,

This might be only me, but I have the impression that I just take more time to watch (and re-watch) a video on the talk page - mostly because I might want to say something about it. Classification is a rather mechanical thing. So, I can understand what you are saying. Nevertheless, the classification page works this way to produce unbiased data. And don't forget, more people are classifying each video, so a mistake once in a while is not dramatic.

Posted

• drobinso by drobinso

Thanks! @AnLand! It helps to know that multiple people are classifying each video so I'm not skewing things too much.

Posted