Chimp & See Talk

See anyone you recognize?

• Quia by Quia moderator

ACP00002dw ACP000050q ACP00007eo ACP00007mq ACP00007oe ACP00007se ACP00007si ACP00007u1 ACP0000828 ACP000082c ACP000086p ACP000086x ACP000086o ACP0000964 ACP0000967 ACP000099m ACP00009hj ACP0000a5r ACP0000abb ACP0000acj ACP0000b2o ACP0000b92 ACP0000b9q ACP0000c0g ACP0000c0o ACP0000cl2 ACP0000czj ACP0000ebt ACP0000ebw ACP0000ebz ACP0000ecu

All these videos have decent to good visibility on at least one chimp that hasn't been identified, some of them haven't even been discussed on Talk at all. I thought I saw some familiar faces as I went through them, but I'm going crosseyed from staring at too many chimps, I can't possibly match up all of them, at least not tonight! There are a few sequential clips in that list, but most of them are single videos.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

I think this curious little one is Leia. Two videos from two different times, I think it's the same chimp in both. Thoughts?

ACP0000ebz

ACP00002dw

Posted

• Aqua_Fairy by Aqua_Fairy

I also think it's the same chimp in both these videos but not Leia. Leia has more dip in her brow I think and a notch in her right ear. But ID-ing chimps is really hard it makes me go all crosseyed! 😃

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

does everyone agree that this juvenile is a new juvenile? or do others think "she" is Leia?

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

I think it looks like Leia. Same large bald spot in front, and deep set round eyes. You can see the brow dip when she gets up close in the 1st clip. Otherwise, I think the lighting just makes it difficult to see the details.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I agree with ksigler that they are all Leia. I think her right ear sometimes looks odd because the top section folds back a bit and reflects light in some of the clips but it is actually not notched - especially visible in beginning of ACP0000ebz They all have the slim little legs, deep set rounded eyes and prominant slightly curved brow, bald spot centered above the brows. Long face with longer fur on her cheek area.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I don't necessarily disagree about the similarities, but this juvenile is both times seen with (or clearly following) a rather thin female - whereas Leia might belong to a dark robust mother with another infant. ACP0000ebw, ACP0000ebz and ACP00002dw

The bald spot seems to be a quite common trait here and I would not do the match now before we know more. (At least, I do not know Quiet Wood well enough now.) And of course, Leia is old enough to not be constantly with her mom. Maybe we can wait a bit?

Posted

Waiting sounds good, better to be sure when we call matches 😃

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

You know what... I'm going to be annoying and change my mind. Now that I'm getting more familiar with this population, I don't think the 2 proposed above are Leia. They may be the same chimp, just someone else. I'm seeing now that Leia has that more exotic look, and her eyes are more almondine and closer together.

Leia:

Leia

Sorry for any confusion. I just needed more time looking at these guys. Hopefully I won't change my mind again, but that's happened. :-\

Posted

Thats what the discussion is for! Glad to have you guys back here and learning about these guys 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP0000a5y Okay so, This is Leia with eyelids closed:

Leia chimp

ACP0000czj Who looks a lot like this juvenile in color with eyelids closed, I think:

juvenile with eyes closed

About ACP0000ebz and ACP00002dw - So I'm still thinking about the original black and white juvenile - the chimps eyes look look so different if they reflect the light as white spots. All these chimps have similar deeply set eyes & large ears that stick out. I need to go back and look at the body shapes later.

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Actually, those 2 photos/clips you posted are already tagged as Leia. So, you were right! 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Lol, you're so tactful with me & my error there, ksigler - I guess I should not try posting on a lunch break without reading all the updates that MimiA posts! 😉

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

No worries! 😃

Posted