Chimp & See Talk

Help us celebrate - Share your story!

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

As you may know, April is a very special month at Chimp and See. It was nearly two years ago, on April 22nd, that our project kicked off here at Zooniverse, opening up the wilds of Africa for us to explore through our screens. However, while the fascinating chimps and other wildlife get all the camera time, it is our dedicated volunteer community that truly makes this project successful, and fun! To celebrate Chimp and See's upcoming 2nd anniversary, we want to hear from YOU!

Through April 26th, we're collecting personal stories, favorite memories, or "happy anniversary" wishes from any volunteers that want to contribute. It can be something funny or serious, a few sentences to a few paragraphs. Photos and videos are welcome, too! Anything that helps us learn about you and what C&S means to you. Just click the link at the end of this post for the submission form. Then, we'll share them on the C&S blog as part of our anniversary celebration at the end of the month.

Want an idea to get you started? You could tell us:

• I volunteer at Chimp and See because ...
    • Something I never expected to learn from Chimp and See is...
    • The best thing about being a part of Chimp and See is...
    • My favorite Chimp and See memory so far is...

Or just take a selfie and send it along some with anniversary love!

Whether you were here from the start, found us an hour ago, or joined us somewhere along the way, you're a part of the C&S family and have a story to tell!

Click here to share your story!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

I am REALLY looking forward to this πŸ˜„ Thanks Kris!!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to ksigler's comment.

What a great idea, Kris, thank you! Just posted a short memory on this. It's been quite an adventurous & educational two years of watching African chimps & other animals.

Posted

Thanks @Snorticus!! So happy to have you here !! πŸ˜„

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Thank you, @Snorticus ! I agree, this has been an amazing project to be a part of, with lots of good times and fun memories so far! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Brilliant idea. I've absolutely loved the C&S project and am really looking forwards to getting to know a little more about everybody. I hope you get a really good response. Thanks for organising it πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to Batfan's comment.

Thanks, @Batfan, I hope so, too! We have the coolest volunteers. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Hi, everyone! Just a quick note that the first of our volunteer stories was just published -- check it out at the Chimp & See blog!

Check back daily for the latest story (they'll be published in the order received). If you haven't sent one yet, the submission form is open until Wednesday, 4/26.

Thanks, all!

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Heidi! ( @Boleyn) So nice to know how did you end here. Thanks for sharing, and thanks "Snapshot Serengeti" for running out of pictures πŸ˜‰

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Thank you Paula, I was so suprised to find my little story to be the first one in the blog.

Now just look to it that C&S does not run out of videos or I will go nuts πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„

Posted

You don't have to worry about that @Boleyn! and thank you for sharing your lovely story on the blog!! πŸ˜„

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Nice story Heidi, never been on a safari 😦 Lots to keep you busy around here anyway!! Plenty more duiker need hash tagging πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Good to meet you Heidi! πŸ˜ƒ I know what you mean - Africa gets under your skin. I've been there three times (once to Kenya and twice to Tanzania) and watching the clips at C&S wafts me back there any time I want to go.

Posted

Thank you all for your nice comments! I'm looking very much forward to reading your stories as well!?

It's always nice to meet some more people who are as crazy as I am πŸ˜ƒ at least in relation to C&S... πŸ˜‰

Posted

More stories to come in the next days πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„ Thanks again to @ksigler for organizing this!

Posted

New story up today from @Snorticus and its a great one!!! #3nippledlady

http://chimpandsee.blogspot.com/2017/04/a-story-from-snorticus.html

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Good story Dawna @Snorticus, Never know what you will see in the forest that's for sure πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

@Snorticus thanks for that funny story and the link provided - otherwise I would have forever missed this jaunty discussion! πŸ˜› πŸ˜„

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Just loved that link @Snorticus. Thank you for that πŸ˜„ Just shows what a great lot of people there are here at C&S.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Boleyn's comment.

@Boleyn in my faulty memory I thought you were surely in this thread that day with your great sense of humor! It still makes me chuckle when I read through it. I kind of love that @AnLand posted the apparently one-nippled baboon in that thread too. Thank you to all of you volunteers. I think we do pretty good stuff here at Chimp&See and am looking forward to reading more of these citizen posts from you all πŸ˜„

Posted

Its a great post @Snorticus - reminded me that I am the destroyer of dreams 3:)

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to MimiA's comment.

Lol, such a stickler for facts, @MimiA

Posted

hahaha! its true!

and thanks to @Batfan for today's post! Glad you are feeling better now and have stuck with us! http://chimpandsee.blogspot.de/2017/04/a-story-from-batfan.html

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

hehe @Snorticus and I already wondered what other citizen scientist from Switzerland might have taken my place in the discussion. It was probably one of the rare occasions I was NOT online. πŸ˜‰

Yes, @AnLands "balancing act" made me laugh out loud too. What an end to this story! πŸ˜„

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

@Batfan -Jane, such a nice story and I'm glad too for both facts: that you are better and that you stayed with us. Let's clink the glasses to many happy C&S years that may come!! πŸ˜›

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

I love your stories! Thanks Dawna and Jane πŸ˜‰

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

So glad you are feeling better & watching animals with us now Jane @Batfan When I first started seeing you here I thought you were a super hero Batman enthusiast so I enjoyed your story that set me straight on that assumption.

Once had the awsome chance to stand at dusk while hundreds of thousands of Mexican free-tailed bats flew over our heads (some whooshing quite close!) out of the Selman Bat Cave here in Oklahoma, USA. Have to agree with you, they are so cool!

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Thank you for your nice comments @Boleyn, @Snorticus & @PauDG. It's great to be a part of such a great project. Will clink my glass of wine tonight @Boleyn and, wow @Snorticus - I'd love to see that spectacle sometime. It can still be pretty dramatic watching bats returning at dawn in the UK, but nothing like the scene you describe. One of these days ..... .

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Good work Jane @Batfan. Everyone has a cool story so far, I'm thinking, maybe I should have made something up lol. @ksigler feel free to add a few explosions and a car chase if needs be πŸ˜‰

Posted

LOL @squish5 !!!

@vestigial's story is up now πŸ˜ƒ Thanks so much to all of you for contributing!!! πŸ˜ƒ

http://chimpandsee.blogspot.com/2017/04/a-story-from-vestigial.html

Posted

Chris @vestigial, it must be awesome to have the possibility to work at a zoo. Thanks for sharing your impressions about the elephants!

ROFLMAO @squish5 you just made my day! πŸ˜„

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Hi Chris. Know what you mean about the elephants. This was a clip that took me very much by surprise - ACP000cdi9 πŸ˜„

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Hey Chris @vestigial, I like all the volunteer work your doing!! The zoo must be awesome work. I also do some volunteer work at a nearby football club which can often be similar to working with animals πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ but it must be super interesting!

Lol @Boleyn, my story is more like some statements. 'My day at the zoo' didn't seem appropriate πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• squish5 by squish5 in response to MimiA's comment.

Thanks @MimiA, Really enjoying it!!

Posted

Laura @lauraklynn you're a real ape enthousiast! How nice!

Posted

Thanks @lauraklynn for your story today!!! http://chimpandsee.blogspot.de/2017/04/a-story-from-lauraklynn.html

Posted

and thanks to @paleosue for her story today! πŸ˜ƒ these are all so great! http://chimpandsee.blogspot.com/2017/04/a-story-from-paleosue.html

Posted

Today's story is from our mod and amazing anniversary organizer @ksigler - thank you Kris for this excellent "Meet our Volunteers" series !! πŸ˜ƒ
    http://chimpandsee.blogspot.com/2017/05/a-story-from-ksigler.html

Posted

@paleosue great story! Hope your student motivation pays off ☺

Thank you so much Kris @ksigler for the insight in your character. That was very brave! Sometimes I think to be a little introverted would suit me too :p πŸ˜‰

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

What an interesting story Kris @ksigler. I can relate to so much of what you say - and I love that quote from Baba Dioum. I've heard it before but never knew who said it. And thanks so much for orgainising this 'share your story' series. It's so good to see what motivates everybody involved with the C&S site to participate, and to get to know a little bit more about each other. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Thanks, guys! I'm glad you're enjoying the series. It's interesting how people from all walks of life took different paths to find this place, and now we're here together doing the same great thing!

@paleosue - just wanted to say good for you for bringing your students here. I've volunteered as an amateur archaeologist, and feel C&S is definitely beneficial to developing observation and recording skills, as well as helping to visualize the bigger story behind the small clues. I'm curious about the photo of the sealed doorway (maybe?). What is that?

Posted

@squish5 is up today!!! thank you @squish5 πŸ˜ƒ http://chimpandsee.blogspot.de/2017/05/a-story-from-squish5.html

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Good story Mick @Squish5. Sorry to hear about your back - I hope it's not too debilitating. Really looking forward to hearing about the car chase and explosions next time !!!! πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Good work @lauraklyn, it really is a fantastic site, should feed the habit anyway πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Good story @paleosue, hopefully the interest rubs off on the students!!

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

@ksigler Excellent piece to summarize the website, was very slow to get into the talk myself but glad I did, great work .

Posted

Today the final volunteer story is up - thank you @zoogirl1!!! http://chimpandsee.blogspot.com/2017/05/a-story-from-zoogirl1.html

Posted

Yay Mick @sqiush5 another man in our middle. I thought so when you requested some explosions and races. I hope that a) your back is very soon better and b) you'll stay with us afterwards as well. Thanks for sharing your story! πŸ˜ƒ

Caryn @zoogirl1 great to read you too. So you're the bird expert among us! I bet it's quite "cool" to play with penguins in any meaning of the word. πŸ˜„ πŸ˜‰

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

What a treat it has been to find out about everyone who is dedicated to this project and to the world of animals! I would like to add one more post from another regular who missed the deadline, Dick Corcaroli from Los Angeles, USA. Congrats to him for 40,000 classifications!

"Dawna, I'm sorry I missed the celebration. I didn't even realize that one was going on, so I didn't know what it was about. I have enjoyed working with all of you on this wonderful site. It seems like I started yesterday, but I was shocked to see that I have done over 40,000 classifications. I know that's not many, but I guess time passes quickly when you're having fun. And I've learned a lot, and I hope I have helped your site in some small way."

Thanks again to Kris @ksigler for organizing this so we could find out more about each other, great idea!

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Thanks @Batfan, @Boleyn I'll have to do plenty classifications to have a story for next year lol

Posted

WOW @Corcaroli !!! That is AMAZING!!! and that is a MASSIVE NUMBER of classifications !!!! We cannot thank you enough!!! and thank you @Snorticus for posting about it!!!

I posted a final Thank You blog post today for wrapping up this INCREDIBLE anniversary we just celebrated - I have LOVED reading all your stories thank you so much for being here with us and making this project a success πŸ˜ƒ http://chimpandsee.blogspot.de/2017/05/thank-you.html

pant hoots to you all!
    Mimi & The Science Team πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator

Just stopping by to say that I really enjoyed all your stories, guys πŸ˜ƒ Thanks for sharing them with others. You are awesome!

Posted

C&S, especially the "Recent" wouldn't be the same without Dick @corcaroli. 40'000 classifications, how awesome is that? Thanks for sharing his PM @Snorticus. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted