Chimp & See Talk

Help us name a baby chimp!

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Hi everybody!

To celebrate the 2nd anniversary of Chimp&See, we started a mini-series “Meet our chimps” at the CHIMP&SEE blog with short videos and text about the most memorable chimps from our recent “Restless Star” site.
    Within the next days, we additionally need to find a name for Pandora’s infant and ask you to vote until Saturday (April 22nd)!

He and his mom Pandora are very interested in the remote camera traps and possibly find something magical in it. So we decided to go with a "Harry Potter" theme. You can now decide - growing up, will he rather be like Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, or Draco Malfoy?

The poll is now closed!

Here the tag group with all video from Pandora's infant and a link to the youtube video.

enter image description here

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Anja, you're doing a terrific job at the blog. I enjoy it very much! 😄

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

What a fun idea - have sent my vote in already. Am loving the blog 😃 - I often keep forgetting to check this but, with all that's going on at the moment, am now remembering to look at it every day.

Posted

Thanks so much! It's fun to write about these awesome chimps.

Posted

Update!

Thanks for voting in the infant naming poll and welcome Draco! We got 44 votes and closed now the poll. Almost half of your votes went to Draco, leaving Ron and especially Harry far away from any interference here. This huge majority vote was somehow unexpected, but you’re right: Draco is the perfect name for this curious and decisive little chimp.

We will open a second naming poll for Lesley's infant daughter later today, so watch this space!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Haha, awesome! 😄 What a surprising result! (I thought it will be Ron 😛) I'm curious who will be chosen in the new poll.

Posted

• squish5 by squish5 in response to AnLand's comment.

Can I call for a recount?? Only joking, this was a great idea and very well put together. Good work @AnLand

Posted

Hi everyone!

To conclude the "Meet our chimps" mini-series and make room during the next days for a "Meet our volunteers" series, we want to name another infant chimp from our Restless Star site: Lesley's infant daughter.

Adult female Lesley is none of our most memorable and special chimps. She has a friendly face with a slightly reddish pigmentation, cute pointy ears, some balding, and a strong body. Although, that’s not something very special for females with dependent offsprings, she seems to be a bit less gregarious (i.e., social) than other members of her group. She is more often seen alone with her infant or in smaller groups with just another adult, not in the big traveling or feeding parties.

Her already big infant daughter makes the most of this situation, plays and investigates on her own whenever she gets the chance – and provided that mom is still close. This little girl is one of the few infants overall at Chimp&See that has been matched on her own due to a defining trait: the small scar or dent at her right eyebrow. Usually, we can only match the infants because we can identify their mothers. She is special in that regard and that’s why we wanted to present her here and use the opportunity to let use choose a name for this little girl!

Vote here!

To go with her mother’s name and our thoughts about sociality in this posting, we decided to go with another pop-culture theme, the great 90ies TV show “Friends”. So, growing up, do you think she would be perfectionist and bossy like Monica, eccentric like Phoebe, or always emotionally outpouring like Rachel? Please vote until Tuesday (April 25th).

enter image description here

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

As House Slytherin, I'm super happy with the name 😉 Thanks for organizing it @AnLand!!! Looking forward to seeing our next name !

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

That's brilliant!! great job @AnLand, Will have to notify the winner via twitter though 😃 😃 😃

Posted

Update: Welcome Phoebe!

Thank you so much for helping us again to settle for a name for another sweet little infant. Lesley’s daughter will now get her final “ID” with this wonderful name. A clear majority for Phoebe emerged already in early votings and could sustain its ranking against a rising share for Rachel in the very last hours of this poll. Just like her namesake from Friends, we hope she will be a great and tolerant friend, a bit eccentric, and get the “forest smartness” to survive in her changing environment.

If you wonder, why we name our chimps, instead of just keeping coded IDs (like Phoebe’s temporary ID: RSInf03), please read this wonderful blogpost by our mod @ksigler.

Posted