Chimp & See Talk

Suggestions to the keyword collections

• Quia by Quia moderator

As we move to watching sites all around Africa, there will always be new things we've never seen before on Chimp & See. If you come across a species or interesting behavior not already on the List of Official Tags/Keyword Collections, please feel free to suggest additions here!

Posted

• skorbolamid by skorbolamid

So these little ones with busy tails are small grey duikers?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to Quia's comment.

Thanks for this, Quia!

If anyone needs instructions on how to make a keyword collection (also called a "tag group"), check out this blog post that I wrote a little while back:

http://blog.zooniverse.org/2015/01/14/using-tag-groups-to-collect-images-on-talk/

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator in response to skorbolamid's comment.

Yup, the small gray ones seem to be unique in their vertical tail flicks, it's quite handy for IDing in the dark.

Organized a bit more, lots of the rarer animals don't have a lot of tags yet so they're hard to find..

Posted

• Aqua_Fairy by Aqua_Fairy

I have two collection to add here

#zebra_duiker

#jentiks_duiker

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Just a note... there is/was a spelling error on the site. It should be #jentinks_duiker ... my bad!

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Thanks @Aqua_Fairy! And WOW! We caught both the threatened/endangered duikers on camera while I was out for the day! πŸ˜„

Posted

• NoirHirsute by NoirHirsute

Hello, i added #smallcat on one of my pictures, i did not know civet/genet/serval and how to characterize them ^^

Posted

we can add also http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP0002kxu #guinea_fowl if you want

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to NoirHirsute's comment.

Civets and genets are not cats, incidentally! πŸ˜ƒ I don't know what tag you'd want to use, but probably not "#smallcat."

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

I suspect there's going to be a lot of the cat-like critters marked as small cat! They look like 'weird ferret-cats' to my eyes.

Thank you @NoirHirsute for the tags!

Posted

yep, it was just the tag from the Field Guide, it was one of my firsts pictures ^^

edit : indeed, it looks like small cats a bit. I am doing some researches on the civet, and the ancient name for a civet in french can be translated as "musked cat" - musk because civets was used to obtain musk for perfumery 😒. However, i am going not to use "smallcat" if I can ^^

Posted

I succeeded in doing keyword collections \o

#mongoose

#white_breasted_guineafowl

Posted

• kerebeth by kerebeth

I also managed a keyword collection (this is really quite exciting). πŸ˜ƒ

#rodent

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Thank you both! πŸ˜ƒ A few more in the list from me, too.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator

Hey,

As for the genets, civets.. couldn't we just tag them as #civet-like or, if you didn't like it, as a #ferret-like ? They shouldn't be marked as small cats since they don't belong under this category:]

Z.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to yshish's comment.

If it's not too tough to teach people, the proper name for these guys would be #viverrid ...

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

I can exclude clips marked with #civet and #genet from the smallcat collection, that should at least help for people coming here for reference!

BTW, did we figure out what the water chevrotain should be classified as? Large Ungulate? Small Antelope? It's not large and not an antelope. πŸ˜‰

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to DZM's comment.

Darren, I'm afraid it would be too difficult for people to remember πŸ˜• It asks for something more easy!

Quia, I classify them as other (non-primate) since they don't belong under any other category. But none of the scientists have answered my questions about them yet. Going to ask again! πŸ˜ƒ

Z.

Posted

Well, yes, they should be classified as other (non-primate), but #viverrid woud be a hashtag. But, yes, I can see that being complicated.

#feliform would also be technically correct, but perhaps also too tricky?

Posted

But Feliform would include cats too.

Posted

As for the non-primate, we were talking about the water chevrotain, not sure you have noticed that.)

Posted

... my bad, I conflated the two topics at hand! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• DataDroid by DataDroid moderator

@Quia: @MimiA, one of the scientists said it should be classified as "large ungulate" (http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000e/discussions/DCP00000uf)

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to DataDroid's comment.

I've just read Mimi's answer and was told to mark them as a small antelope. Can't link that since it was through the PM system :] They're too small for the 'large ungulate'!

Posted

hi, i did an #aggression and a #tool keyword collection. Could be interesting ?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to Quia's comment.

@Quia you could add #pouched_rat and #squirrel under the Rodents.

Not sure about porcupines. They belong under Rodents too but have got their own category in the classification. I don't want to confuse anyone.

Edit: and you could add the #crested_guineafowl under birds too.

Z.

Posted

• sp515507 by sp515507

How do I add a hashtag? Sorry if the question is a dim one....

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to sp515507's comment.

Use the hash character (#) right before the tag

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Quia - could you also link to the #dailyzoo collection? I do not know how to get there πŸ˜•

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

I'm surprised @DZM doesn't already have one! http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL00003d I put it up at the top of the list.

Posted

• catseyes9 by catseyes9 in response to Quia's comment.

I don't know if you put #snake on, but that would be a good one to do. Thanks for the list, I'm sure it'll come in handy some time πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Snake definitely needs to go on, I know the list is missing a whole bunch of different animals that we've found and IDed now!

mongoose, snake, king colobus, and this fellow once he gets tagged ACP000412y

Am I missing anything else?

Posted

Thanks for keeping up with this Quia - these additional classifications are amazing!

Posted

• lauraklynn by lauraklynn moderator

I have tagged a few butterflies under #butterfly

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to lauraklynn's comment.

Yes, I agree, butterfly is a good one. There are many! I had just been using insect, but it may be more useful to go ahead and give them their own keyword.

Posted

in the next update can you add #nightchimps please? (Which is a tag that @AnLAnd came up with and has been collecting but I am "stealing" the tag because I think its really cool to see if we see differences in this across sites, considering how important sleep is for cognitive functions and nest building is often thought to arrive from a need for better sleep for cognitive purposes - eg: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/04/140416-chimpanzees-trees-sleep-beds-animals-science/)

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've added the butterflies and night chimps, and jwidness found some hyenas that were tagged months ago that nobody knew were there!

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

With a new site, we're going to run into lots of animals we haven't seen before! If you find something new, tag it and share it here!

I see we have #cattle and #dogs already, which are new, and #warthog and #baboon, which we haven't seen in a long time, or ever.

Posted

so exciting πŸ˜ƒ thanks @Quia!

Posted

• drobinso by drobinso

I saw both a warthog and baboons last night at the new site and was SO excited! It's fun to see lots of variety!

Posted

lets also have a #domesticanimals tag to cover dogs, cattle etc thanks!

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Just a few additions!

dog, domesticanimals, fire, green_monkey, patas_monkey, and roan_antelope.

Posted

Please, add #hammerkop under birds πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

And #Greater_blue-eared_starling and #African_harrier-hawk! Thanks πŸ˜ƒ

e: and #African_fish_eagle

e2: and #Ground_hornbill

e3: or just #Starling since there will be probably more of them .)

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Thanks for the great birding yshish πŸ˜ƒ

We also now have #caracal under small cats!

Posted

Can we also get #dogs, #human, #humans, #hunter, #hunting, #poacher and #poaching in the next update?

Posted

Possible bird IDs not included in the list: #Long-tailed_glossy_starling, then #black_wood_hoopoe and #francolin

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

What about adding the chimp sound #panthoot?

Posted

@Quia, please, add #hare and following species of mongoose*:

*I know we were using them in different shapes, like #white-tailed #mongoose and #slender #mongoose, but we have #banded_mongoose as a single tag and I like when it's unified. I'm going to correct them. Let's hope the search will work for me:)

Thank you πŸ˜ƒ

E: I've edited this post after @AnLand told me she preferred them divided.

Posted

Or do we prefer them divided to get them collected under #mongoose?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to yshish's comment.

I like the separated version #banded #mongoose (as well as #crested #porcupine) better. (But I do quite some tags differently.)

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Thanks, then let's keep them divided! πŸ˜ƒ I looked at the species tags we use for other animals and they're mostly in a single tag, so I didn't want to make it complicated.. but then we need a new tag group for each species to have them collected, or to use two tags anyway, like #banded_mongoose and #mongoose.

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to yshish's comment.

Keeping them separate lets people tag even when they only know the more general term, then the additional tag (or compound tag) can be added. Also, if you need to find tagged clips, you can use or make a new tag collection of your own. I keep a temporary one just to reuse for my own searches, and it works well.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

I can only agree with that.. But why are not most of the used(listed) tags separate? It's too late to change them now. I'm just curious, since we all seem to prefer them separate.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Awesome! I've added all the suggested tags in, and split out the humans and domestic animals into their own section, since we now have so many tags for them.

Mimi, you asked for #hunters and #hunting, I've put hunters by humans, and hunting in with the animal behaviours, as that's how they've been used. So far nobody has used #poaching.

Regarding the split up tags, I like them for when there is a commonly used tag, like #mongoose and #porcupine, that we then add more detail to. For contrast, #monkey is almost never used on it's own, so we have #diana_monkey and #green_monkey etc... Same with duikers, which are almost all consistent, except for the lazy(my fault, as I started tagging these πŸ˜ƒ) #yellow_backed instead of #yellow_backed_duiker.

Posted

I left a comment somewhere, but basically, I think it's because the tags evolved organically before we knew what was coming or how we'd want to classify things. The decisions for the hierarchy have been made along the way as we learn about things, and it's still hard. For example, we have a #checkered_elephant_shrew. There are many other types of shrews and elephant shrews, but who can predict when we'll see and identify another one? So, is it worth the effort to establish a #shrew | #elephant_shrew | #checkered_elephant_shrew hierarchy? (Like @AnLand, I also like the truly separated method, such as #checkered | #elephant | #shrew, but the whole set pretty much has to be used together anyway to not pull clips of elephants or other shrews or checkered things.)

Overall, I think the keyword list is pretty good (not that anyone has said otherwise). There are places where it could be tightened up and made more systematic, but there are disadvantages to that, also. Some taxonomy isn't clear, and some animals have more than one common name. Right now, I think we have a good balance between useful and easy to use, which I think is important considering that this is "extra credit" for mostly non-scientific volunteer users.

If a tag really really isn't working, it's not impossible to transition to a new word or phrase. Yes, the longer we wait, the more work and habits we'd be up against, but this project is going to go on for quite a while longer, so it's also a long time to keep doing something that doesn't work. So we can, and should, keep reviewing how we're using the tag system to make sure it continues to fit our needs. If any changes are necessary, and we come up with a good long-term solution, I'd be willing to help (re)tag things.

Posted

Thank you both very much! Sorry I'm still a bit confused what we prefer πŸ˜ƒ - Separate (like #slender #mongoose) or single (like #slender_mongoose)? I need to know for the case when a new species appears to avoid the necessity to correct the keyword later πŸ˜ƒ

Thanks!!

Posted

I don't know what "we" prefer, so this is just my addition to the conversation about it. πŸ˜ƒ

I think #slender_mongoose is cleaner, easiest to use, and leaves no doubt. I would, however, also like to see it combined with just #mongoose, but that's not a huge deal. I think this is what most people do.

On the other hand, I think tagging clips with #slender #mongoose is more versatile for collections. You can still see those clips under the broader #mongoose, or you can set up things like, Include #mongoose and Exclude #banded and #slender to see what other types of mongoose we have. If people care about that kind of thing.

Posted

We can actually set the tag group to include both, #mongoose and #slender, so it will collect all videos which have both of them mentioned. So I don't find the separate option a problem for collecting at all.

I just wanted to hear clearly what we agreed on πŸ˜ƒ My English is not perfect and I'm not sure I interpreted your replies correctly.

Thanks!

Posted

I think you guys should decide on this since you are the users and we want it to be as easy and intuitive as possible for you guys πŸ˜ƒ I realize now that some people are tagging domesticanimals and some domesticanimal - is there a preference for one or the other? - I can go correct whatever the "wrong" one is. Thanks πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

We have been mostly using #domesticanimals. I know I did use the singular once (here: ACP0006ulw ) but the page doesn't allow me to edit that post at all. (Yep, there is a bug, it happens from time to time and no one knows why, at other projects too). So I can't correct it. Hope it's not a problem :]

I didn't want to be the one who will decide here. But no one else seems to want to either.

OK, let's use the separate keywords, since @Quia has put them in the list already πŸ˜ƒ (If anyone disagrees, say it now, please!)

Posted

@Quia Please, in the next round, add these:

Hope I'm not wrong πŸ˜ƒ

Thanks

Posted

And I've just figured out there are some identified bird species missing 😦 We've had at least two #wood_dove species already. Please, add them under #bird too. I'll try to find which exactly they were.

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator in response to yshish's comment.

If you want to use my serval tag group, here's the link: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0000h2

I think we also need bush duiker and red flanked duiker, but I don't have clips handy and I'm not sure if people have already started tagging them, sorry! πŸ˜•

edit: and also potto: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0000h3

2nd edit: looks like a few videos are tagged #bush_duiker, so I made a collection: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0000h4

there are also some videos tagged #red_flanked and some with #red_flanked_duiker -- I'm not sure how we want to go with that, and I'm not even sure which of the videos actually are red flanked duiker, but that's somewhere to start

3rd edit: apparently the group is #red-flanked_duiker http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0000d1

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Might ask MimiA's preference on adding these duiker tags. I'm thinking back to a short discussion where ksigler asked about new duiker tags and she responded:

http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000d/discussions/DCP0000gla

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

I have no problem waiting for Mimi's preference, but I took her response to mean that they should get classified as red duiker (as opposed to small antelope), not a statement about what to tag them. I could be misunderstanding though

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I think I misunderstood that discussion, so carry on πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Here I am πŸ˜ƒ yes, in that discussion, i just meant want to classify them as in the front end (since bush duiker isnt an option). But for tagging, i leave it up to you, anything works as long as there is consensus πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Thank you all for helping keep this list up to date! If I've missed something please let me know. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to Quia's comment.

Thanks πŸ˜ƒ I've just noticed that #Jackal (Carnivora) is missing there, and it hasn't got a tag group. Here are some.

Posted

As for those #francolin birds we see quite often, I think they are #Double-spurred ones πŸ˜ƒ Please, add the keyword into the list. There couldl be more francolins so I would like to keep the tags separated πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

African collared dove? #collared_dove ACP0006zkl

Edit: Please, add a #red-billed_hornbill too ACP0006384 (if we want to use the divided hashtag like #red-billed #hornbill, then @jwidness should change the setting for her tag group)

Edit2: African #grey_hornbill πŸ˜ƒ here ACP00065ny (if we want to use the divided hashtag like #grey #hornbill, then @jwidness should change the setting for her tag group)

Edit3: Helmeted Guineafowl is missing in the list although we have seen many of them already. I suggested #helmeted_guineafowl (for example here: ACP00070fw) but we agreed on divided tags, so #Helmeted #guinea_fowl would be better

Edit4: #White-crowned #robin-chat found here ACP0006o3s

Posted

The #cross-species_interaction is missing in the list too, it's got its own tag group already πŸ˜ƒ http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0000c8

Edit: Please, add a #fine-spotted #woodpecker found here: ACP0006gbx and ACP0006gbw as a bird.

Posted

I added #carnivore for videos like his where we aren't sure what sort of animal it is but its in the direction of jackal/wild dog...http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP0006r0v

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

@depuppy3 found some awesome videos that are definitely lycaon pictus -- for example ACP0007dzt. The question now is how do you want them tagged? Currently they say #wilddog, but I wonder if #wild_dog is more in line with our naming system, and I actually think it might even be better to go with #painted_dog, just to be extra clear that these are not feral or loose domesticated dogs.

Edit: as I was browsing the IUCN page for lycaon pictus, I saw that they estimate only about 70 individuals remain in West Africa, so it's a real treat to catch them on the C&S cams!

Edit 2: considering the classification/field guide interface uses the term wild dog, I think maybe using painted dog would actually be more confusing. Personally, I've always used wild dog rather than painted dog ; )

Posted

Awesome! #wilddog sounds good since its already being used πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

@Quia I think we have got an immature #Green #Woodhoopoe found here: ACP0006gf5 and ACP0006gf6 (immature birds have black bills not red as adults)

E: and these please:

Then please add #Guinea as a species of #baboon, since there should be another with the new site.

Thank you πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• lilapot by lilapot

I've made
    #warthog
    #mongoose

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to lilapot's comment.

Good, but they are already listed and have their own keyword collection πŸ˜ƒ Look on the 1st page of this thread to see the list. We mention here the new ones, which are missing there, for @Quia .Once she comes back, she'll add them into the list and creates a tag group for each.

Posted

Hi everyone,

We have decided to start hashtagging clip locations too. So later we were able to create tag groups for animals from each location separately. It would be cool to compare the results among individual sites!

Here is the list of the location hashtags (alphabetical order):

Let me know if I missed some.

Feel free to add the location hashtags to your comments to help us! πŸ˜ƒ

Many thanks!!

Cheers, Zuzi

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Just to add a little bit explanation: unfortunately at the moment, the tag groups are capped at 500 videos. With more than 500 chimp videos from every single site, it will not be possible to extract all chimp videos (are any other of the "bigger" species groups like baboons) with a species tag-group alone. With each added video above the 500 collected, the for everybody visible tag group loses the oldest video in the collection. So, we cannot go back easily and look at specifics of the collection here at the Chimp&See interface.

So, we hope with tagging additionally the location, we can "rescue" most videos for all participants to go back and watch and compare whatever you are interested in. We will have in the future tag-groups for single sites in addition to the big species tag-groups, which you can find in the List of keyword collections. The moderators will in the coming weeks tag mostly the older sites and it would be great if you all could add site locations at least to the chimp and dailyzoo videos and everything that looks especially interesting. Thank you!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

My tag group of DL-11 chimps says it contains 521 images - so am wondering about that cap?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Hi @Snorticus,

there are two different kind of collections with different maxima. The tag groups* are capped at 500 videos each (you can see it in the baboon collection). The manual collections (when you use the "collect" button on the upper left of the video) are capped at 1000 videos. That's why, we need to tag with the additional site location and in addition to that probably need manual collections. It's unfortunately a lot of work ... but it's useful and we will do it.

*Tag groups are automatic groups that include all videos with a certain hashtag.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

So have DZM and the tech people raised that cap going forward or will this location tagging also need to be done in the future when we start a new site?

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Hopefully Zooniverse can both raise the cap and apply the site tags automatically when the new sites are loaded. However, their resources are very scarce, so it may not be possible. The cap is a limitation set on the tool, but how we're using the tags is our choice. If we want to be able to search for clips tagged as #chimp #DryLake, or #chimp #juvenile #RedWater as opposed to just #chimp, that can only be done if we tag them as such, regardless of the cap.

Posted

I've just created a new tag group which collects all clips hashtagged with #need_ID. Here is a link to the Need_ID collection: CCPL0000k6

It is meant to be used for clips capturing animals which need to be identified better (for example, there is a bird but you can't tell what exact species).

Please, use this hashtag in a separate comment, so the post could be removed after the successful identification.

We'll go through this collection and try our best to ID them all πŸ˜ƒ

Cheers, Z.

Posted

I think this is a good opportunity to remind people not to tag guesses. The tags are used by the science team (and everyone else) to find clips based on the animals or behaviors seen in them. So it's important to tag only what is actually there. If you aren't sure, just leave out the # in your comment and it can be confirmed later. For example:

βœ” Comment: "I can't tell if this is a squirrel or mongoose."

βœ– Comment: "I can't tell if this is a #squirrel or #mongoose."

βœ” Comment: "At first I thought it was a squirrel, but I see now it's a #mongoose."

βœ– Comment: "Is this a #chimp?"

βœ” Comment: "Is this a chimp?"

βœ” Comment: "This is a #duiker pretending to be a chimp. πŸ˜ƒ"

Btw, the collection of clips that need identification help is here: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0000k5

Posted

@ksigler Thanks!!

And I'll add that you can use the Follow button (top right corner) for this thread with the List of preferred keywords (on the first page). Then you'll be able to find it quickly - just click on the first page Following (on the left in the top Talk menu).

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

It's more work but of course I understand the necessity of it.

Maybe one of you could ask one of the IT guys (or girls) if they wouldn't write a short programm to tag also the old videos automatically. It's not too hard to find out the video numbers for each place and from there on they could tag every video that has no "nothing here" in it with the corresponding site name. I think it's a very easy task for somebody with programming practise.

If I can help with tagging old videos in the meantime just drop me a line with a bunch of video numbers. I'm happy to help (at least as long as the new site is not up :c) ) (I love this little piggy grin!)

@yshish Zuzi, that's a very good idea to add this #need_ID
    My only concern is that people probably do not read all the useful stuff written in the FAQs and I do not excempt myself from this...
    Maybe you could send messages to (at least) the frequent CS to make them aware of the changes?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Hi @Boleyn

Thanks for your suggestions, I actually did ask Zooniverse for such a help (automatical tagging of all clips).. but everyone is busy know with more important things now. Not sure they will be able to help us in this.

As for the Need_ID, I think that when it will be used by us, others will start using it too, after some time.

Thanks for reading the documents πŸ˜ƒ

Cheers, Z.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

I need one more clarification please:

Do we tag every video at DryLake with baboons, green_monkeys, warthogs, bushbucks etc. or just the ones with interesting scenes in it? Because when we tag all of them there will be also more than 500 at least for the baboons and warthogs...

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Yes please, tag every single clip you classify if an animal is present in it. The scientists would like to compare the results from classification with the results from Talk comments.

Yes, the tag groups will reach their limits soon, but we can create new ones anytime we need to display more of them, once the locations are tagged.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to yshish's comment.

ok, thanks!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I'm not sure where to post my thoughts about this - but we have a lot of work to do now that we're adding site tags. (of course copy/pasting the tag is just time consuming, not difficult) Whenever a new site is uploaded it's hard to want to do anything besides discover new chimps, animals, and locations. I hope we can catch up some on adding site tags before we get a brand new site to get excited about πŸ˜•

Posted

Hi everyone! First of all a million thank yous for your help with this and adapting so quickly to our new ideas πŸ˜„ !!!

Second, I totally agree that finding chimps at a new site is WAY more fun than tagging site names so make sure to do what you love first and then if you have time and will, do the more tedious stuff. We can always come back to tagging sites later on after the intial rush of a new site wears off. No one should miss out on trying to find matching chimps thats one of our major goals so definetly focus on that when the time comes!

Thank you again, you guys are incredible!

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

hey guys,

just FYI, I have added a new hashtag: #pee (we already had #poo, but not #pee, right?)

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to NuriaM's comment.

Thank you, @NuriaM πŸ˜‰

Posted

...kind of stinks in here... πŸ˜›

Posted

Haven't been there for some time and not sure we are still adding new species key words here but #Forest #Francolin would be a new bird species found in DawnBird: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP00084f1

Posted

As for birds, there is a new one: #Forest #Robin http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP0007vj3

E: and #Akalat for http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP0007k3s

Posted

• akalan by akalan scientist

Hi, could we also add #yellow #baboon, for another species of baboon that we expect to see at some point in the Chimp&See collection. Identification information for this species has already been sent to ksigler for addition to the Monkey Guide as well. Thanks!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to akalan's comment.

Sure, but we do not have a tag group right now as we did not see them before. Shall we add an empty one? -> DONE

Posted

What about adding a tag group for #fail ? http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0000lj (It's missing in the list)

And we could link this thread to there too, so anyone knew where to put the suggestions.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to yshish's comment.

Great collection @yshish - made me laugh!

Posted

Missing species from the Restless Star...

#Black-fronted_duiker they are red duikers (probably here ACP000byxn ), but sometimes seem to appear very dark like here ACP000buki

#Blue_monkey for example here: ACP000auia or ACP000bci1

#Lhoests_monkey probably here? ACP000byxn

A colobus like monkey, probably a #Guereza? ACP000ayxe

Please, correct me if I'm wrong with the ID somewhere. Just wanted to list them before I forget they were found. Thanks!

Posted

Thanks @yshish πŸ˜„ !!!

Posted

@yshish, those are all correct, and we also seem to have a red-tailed monkey in ACP000augz. I'll work on getting all the tag collections added.

Posted

Thanks for the confirmation πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

If no one objects, I'd like to change the tag for red-tailed monkeys. Right now it's in the list as #red-tailed #monkey, but I'd like to make it #red-tailed_monkey to be more in line with what we use for other species. I can retag the few videos we already have (and I can retag the ones tagged #red_tailed while I'm at it). Is that ok?

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

Sounds fine. Spot-nosed is similarly "off," don't you think?

Posted

Totally agree, I was thinking I might change that too. Agree?

Posted

Please, add the #bushpig and @MimiA could you (or someone from the science team) make clear how we're going to classify them? ACP000cc58 Thanks! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

I added bushpig earlier in the day when I added the monkeys -- sorry again for not pointing them out!

Posted

Great find on the bushpig! - let's classify them as red river hogs (they are closely related) but tag them as #bushpig - @ksiger/@jwidness - can you update the field guide too please to include these guys in red river hogs? THANKS!!!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

Thanks.

And there are some new mongoose species I've seen already, but haven't tagged yet:

(will try to find them and add the links tomorrow, need to go sleep now)

Posted

Ok, I added #fail, I changed red-tailed and spot-nosed to have _monkey on them, I added those two mongoose species, and I realized that not all the duikers tagged black-fronted are actually black-fronted. πŸ˜• Black-fronted duikers should have a very dark forehead and muzzle, with a tuft of dark hair on the crown and no dorsal stripe, while weyns' duikers look very similar, but don't have the black forehead/crown and their hair tuft should be red. Black-fronted should also have a tail that matches the rump color, while weyns' have a dark tail tip. Both are known to have fairly significant geographic variation.

I also made a request to add bushpigs under red river hogs in the field guide.

Posted

Thanks@jwidness! you rock! - can you also add #meat_eating next time?

Posted

@jwidness Thanks for the duiker colour differences. I'm going to check/edit my tags then. Hope there aren't any more species fails made by me:]

Posted

I'm pretty sure some of mine were (and maybe still are) wrong, so don't use them as the gold standard. I'm not so sure I can tell them apart reliably πŸ˜•

Posted

I wen't through mine and didn't find any I would like to change as most of them weren't clear. So feel free to correct me anytime you find a tag you disagree with. Thank you.

Posted

for next update - can we remove #poacher (i think #hunter is more apt and i re tagged the poachers so its all good) and add #habituated and #researcher - thanks!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

Thank you!

Posted

Done.

Posted

We already have a creepy tag for the year-end-vote but there's missing a #funny tag. Would be certainly useful πŸ˜ƒ Thanks!

Posted

I think we have #Common #kusimanse too, in DawnBird http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP00084ho What do you think?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I ran across a chimp yawning which I don't see often but thought it interesting and tagged it #yawn Is that of tag-able interest to anyone else?

Posted

i think we can add sub topics to the #tool_use tag - i know we have #termites, #ants, #nuts, #stonethrow (and in the future we will have #algae, #honeypound...but we can wait until we discover those)

actually for termites we would have three kids of termite fishing/dipping ( #mound (for mounds above ground), #epigaeic (for nests below ground) and #surface (for when the termites are moving along the surface of the ground)

some examples πŸ˜ƒ

i have a stone throw tag group already: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0000oe

Posted

Also please add #feeding because we have quite a few videos with that tagged and that is great!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Hi, we were using #yawning for such a behaviour. There is a tag group for it already: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0000rj

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to yshish's comment.

Thanks, yshish, I'll amend that tag.

Posted

#termites please πŸ˜ƒ https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0000uo and #stonethrow https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0000oe

(i actually see i made a post about this a while back, so that request still stands :p)

Posted

I think I got all the pending suggestions, let me know if I missed one!

Posted

thank yoU!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

@jwidness a while back I asked for a tag #funny This would help a lot for the yearly "best of" evaluation. We have a #creepy already for this purpose πŸ˜ƒ Thanks!!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Done. Please find the collection here: https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0000uv

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Great, thanks @AnLand !! πŸ˜„

Posted

• kristinhavercamp by kristinhavercamp scientist

Hey everyone! I have come across many videos (for example, here and here) where it appears as though an individual is quietly eating, grooming, etc. and all of a sudden they hear (or possibly see) something and bolt away. I have been tagging these videos with #running and then made a tag group to find a few other similar videos, but the group also includes some shots of individuals just simply running along. Maybe a better tag would be #flight? Do we want to tag such behavior? πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to kristinhavercamp's comment.

Hi Kristinhavercamp,

you can use any tag you come up with. It just should not conflict somehow with an official hashtag the science team is interested in. Personally I think that #running is very unspecific (a chimp might run during charging or as part of the display - that's a totally different context) and #flight would include each bird flying without the behavioral context you are interested in. I am not a native English speaker, but spontaneous I would say #flee would be better. It's still based on the assumption that they are actually running from something (another animal or just noise or whatever). Just an idea.

Maybe others have an opinion here too?

Posted

• maureenmccarthy by maureenmccarthy scientist, moderator

I would agree that #flee would probably be a good tag for this. I am not aware of any specific projects that would focus on something like that, but if you want to tag it when you see it there is definitely no harm in doing so! The one thing to be careful about is differentiating between #flee and #camera_reaction. Since @akalan is looking at camera reactions, we would want to still make sure that any behavior that is a potential camera reaction is hashtagged #camera_reaction and not simply as #flee. Aside from that, I think it should work fine.
    Aside from an official tag, you can always make a tag group for the #flee videos you find or make a collection so you can keep track of them that way in the meantime.

Posted

• kristinhavercamp by kristinhavercamp scientist

Ok, great, thanks for the suggestions! @AnLand you are right about #running being completely unspecific. I will use the #flee tag instead and be sure to differentiate between videos that contain camera reactions and startled behaviour (in relation to a possible predator, another individual, a noise, etc.).

Posted

• Mercury82 by Mercury82

How can I tag videos in which I can only see that there are eyes moving in the dark, but cannot really say, to which animal they belong to (I had that case several times, usually with some duiker that I cannot specify) - I used #eyesonly but am not sure if this is appropriate or even necessary - don't want to confuse anybody πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Feel free to add the tag #need_id to any video where you're not sure what the animal is -- we'll take a look at it, but sometimes we might not be able to figure it out either!

Posted

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp

This #need_id tag is so helpful, I really often use it, sometimes I knew, I had them before but forgotten … now I have my "list" growing πŸ˜ƒ
    All here are really helpfull and never tired to give again helps … THANKS for that.

Posted

@MimiA asked several times for hashtags for the hammer-like tools for nutcracking, so I just open the discussion here.

At the moment, we started to use #hammerstone, so the equivalent would be #hammerwood, I guess. I am not a native English speaker, but both tags sound strange to me. I would use: #stonehammer and #woodhammer, but that might be totally wrong. Maybe the English-speaking mods and volunteers, as well as the science team, could weigh in.

I think, it is not necessary to differentiate between a "regular" use of a branch/log and a twig used by a youngster to immitate the movement, right? The anvil is probably often not well seen (e.g. if it is a hard root of a tree or a stone half in the ground). A separately collected and placed stone as anvil could be tagged as #stone_anvil (or other variants of this).

What are others' opinions? We can then add the chosen tags to the keyword collection.

Posted

I started with the hashtag "hammerstone", because I am interested in the use of different stones as nut cracking tools in Aged Violet. I thought, with this hashtag I can follow : who is using which kind of stone, are there special preferences, what does a chimp, if his tool is carried away (which happens sometimes) ... I first started to follow a really big hammer-stone (this was, why I chose this word), but then I found some clips with a smaller stone, and lots of using wood-tools. So I too would appreciate, if native speaker could give some good ideas for the hashtags! Thanks AnLand for bringing up the thread.

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

Hammerstone is correct usually referring to ancient stone tools used for chipping flint or breaking bones. So really it does fit as these are primitive.

I suppose if it was a piece of wood it would be more correct to say wooden hammer but for these purposes #woodhammer would work or maybe #club-hammer

Smaller stone hammers could be called #pummel_stone

Posted

Please, add #Olive #ibis to the official list

Here are some examples: ACP000g1pr || ACP000g1r4 || ACP000g1or (I haven't created a tag group)

Thank you πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

I added it as #olive #ibis, though the hadada is under #hadada_ibis (with underscore)

I'm not sure if there's a consensus on the nutcracking tags, so I didn't add those.

Posted

Is @luca-chimp using #hammerstone for all stones or just a specific stone?

Posted

I started with a specific one than chose #hammerstone (small) as a difference, than failed with a hashtag for the wooden ones ... so my idea
    #hammerstone ==> for all sizes, but must be stone (additions like small, tiny ... added to the hashtag)
    #woodhammer ==> for branches, boughs, whatever ...additions like small, tiny ... added to the hashtag)

any other hammer-materials known?

Posted

Thank you. We were discussing whether to use the first or the second variant but can't find what was the final decision anywhere 0:| If it was like Olive_ibis rather than Olive Ibis, then let me know and I'll edit them.

Posted

Im happy with #hammerstone and #woodhammer! thanks!!!

Posted

I added both to the keyword list (under #nuts"). Maybe somebody with more knowledge about tool use could make the collection descriptions a bit better?! Thank you! You find them here: https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL000105 and https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL000106

Posted

Thanks AnLand, could someone also add #giant beside #pangolin please?

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

I added giant pangolin and tree pangolin. I'd love to see a long-tailed pangolin, but I haven't been able to spot one yet...

Posted

thank you! and i love the guide you made as well! thanks!!!

Posted

Hey, haven't we used a tag for urinating animals? There is none keyword for such a behaviour listed in the Official list of keywords. I think it was #urinating but I've found a video where our volunteers used #pee instead. Neither that one is listed though. ACP000cijf

Posted

Also, #side-striped used for jackals is not listed there.

Posted

Thanks @yshish - both great additions!! i remember using #pee in the past πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Pee and side-striped added.

Posted

Thank you:)

Posted

Hi - Kris next update can you add the #cammaintenance tag to the list please? This is a good tag to add with the #sitename #human and #researcher tags so we can tell these part from when we see a researcher on camera not doing maintenance or someone not from the field team

some of the other tags we use is #tourists for when we see tourists - this could be added too. thanks!

thanks!
    mnimi

Posted

• ChimpMods by ChimpMods in response to MimiA's comment.

done πŸ˜ƒ more videos are tagged with #tourist (not #tourists), so I added this, but can change

Posted

perfect - thanks for catching that! I will fix the tourists tags then to all be #tourist πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

How do you know a tourist from a researcher? They dress similarly and often there are several.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to zoogirl1's comment.

Until now, we had only Restless Star as a site with tourists. For any other site, you can expect that these are researchers or the local people (villagers, hunters, others). For Restless Star, I guess you can determine tourists by being in a bigger groups together. The researchers following chimps and gorillas also most often were these surgical masks. And they are seen often when walking to/from "work" at earlier/later hours (at dawn or dusk). Hope that helps a bit.

Posted

Thanks @AnLAnd for that great answer - I also think the best way is that if you aren't sure just tag with #human and then ask and other people can weigh in on if they think they are tourists or researchers πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

okay! got it. Thanks

Posted

OK. I've been working on a bird guide and before I finalize things I wondered if we want to modify a couple of tags to help standardize a bit?
    The Green Woodhoopoe tag is #green_woodhoopoe
    The Black(-billed) Woodhoopoe tag is #black_wood_hoopoe

There are a few other tags that are a bit confusing and might be modified in this way (the various guineafowl come to mind), but I know we might not want to mess with tags once they are firmly established. Woodhoopoes are relatively uncommon though, so changing them now doesn't seem like it would confuse anyone too much.

Might we want to change one or both tags so they match better? In google searches, I find sometimes Wood Hoopoe and sometimes Woodhoopoe, so either one appears to be acceptable.

Do we prefer woodhoopoe or wood_hoopoe?

I find only 3 videos tagged with green_woodhoopoe, so maybe we should change that one? There aren't that many Black-billed videos either, so I'm fine with changing whichever one and going back to modify previous tags.

Of course, this is just a suggestion and I'll leave things alone if that's what everyone wants to do.

Posted

I don't know anything about birds, but a standardized format is better if it does not mean to change too many of the current tags. My preference would be woodhoopoe. But that's just my lay opinion.

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to lauraklynn's comment.

Hi, @lauraklynn... I agree with standardizing, though don't know which version is scientifically preferred. Personally, I tend to prefer tags with less punctuation (i.e., woodhoopoe). They are easier to remember, I think. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

i agree too πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

OK. I have updated the following:

black_wood_hoopoe is now #black #woodhoopoe (to better match #green #woodhoopoe)

hadada_ibis is now #hadada #ibis (to better match #olive #ibis)

If you could, please modify the official tag list accordingly.
    Thanks! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

I'd like to suggest adding a new tag for an African clawless otter, I think #otter tag would be enough. ACP000d67v

Posted

Thanks @yshish !!

and we need #red_colobus too please πŸ˜ƒ (https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000d/discussions/DCP0001vyf)

Posted

I added the Otter, but Red colobus is listed already πŸ˜‰

Posted

thanks - we also need #turtle and #tortoise added please πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

I added #African_crowned_eagle and both #turtle and #tortoise to the list. I linked turtles to your tag group and then I had a random look at one of the clips tagged as a turtle. There was actually a tortoise - I guess we'll see tortoises more likely than turtles and I'm afraid most volunteers won't be able to tell them apart anyway, especially when distant.

Do we want to tag them separately?

Posted

i also think it will be tricky so i think lets keep both tags since (form wikipedia: Differences exist in usage of the common terms turtle, tortoise, and terrapin, depending on the variety of English being used; usage is inconsistent and contradictory.[1] These terms are common names and do not reflect precise biological or taxonomic distinctions.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortoise#Use_of_the_terms_turtle.2C_tortoise.2C_and_terrapin

Posted

Thanks. Then I will put them in the same row as two options how to tag the same animal.

Also, the current tag group is made for #turtle tag only. I am afraid we cannot set that tag group to include "#turtle or #tortoise", we can set it to include either both or one of them only. So we should create also a tag group for #tortoise and add it to the list. (Or can we? How?) So they were both turtles and tortoise collected.

Posted

a new tag group for tortoise sounds great πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Done πŸ˜‰

Posted

DΔ›kuji πŸ˜„

Posted

IN the next update can you add the duiker guide beside the duiker category please (just like how its done for the primates) https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000e/discussions/DCP0000asr

thanks!
    mimi

Posted

Done!

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

I would just like to add there is a difference between turtle and tortoise:

In almost all cases a turtle would only be found in or near water. Their shell is usually much less domed. Webbed feet, claws.

Tortoise is dry land only. Rounded hi-domed shell. Stumpy feet like an elephant.

Terrapin is an in-between animal - some water, brackish

So you can tell the difference and be specific. Maybe that will help.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to zoogirl1's comment.

Yeah, we discussed that on the previous page - and as linked by Mimi, the usage is inconsistent and depends on the variety of English being used: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortoise#Use_of_the_terms_turtle.2C_tortoise.2C_and_terrapin ,and since most volunteers won't be able to tell them apart, we just won't make a difference between using either of these tags. Thanks for pointing that out anyway πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

thanks everyone!

Posted

We could add #black_bee-eater as a new bird species. But only seen once now.

Posted

great idea @AnLand = also please add #vocal-only too when net update happens (edited to correct tag)

Posted

I added #vocal-only (please be aware that we use a hyphen, not an underscore) and #black_bee-eater.

I also added the Green Snowflake chimp collection for easier access and the respective tag #greensnowflake

Posted

thanks Anja, I'll do some clean up of the wrong tag πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

please add #toots πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Done (I also sorted the "Behaviours and Non-Species Specific Tags" group alphabetically. Makes it easier to check a tag.)

Posted

thank you!

Posted

• akalan by akalan scientist

can we please add #clay_eating to the keyword list

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to akalan's comment.

Done. Here is the tag group collection: https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0001hw

Posted

please add #sponge - thanks!

Posted

Done.

Posted

thanks!!

Posted

Now that we have a second video, I suggest we add #tambourine_dove to the key words. I also think that the bird of prey in ACP000d1je / ACP000d1jf is a black sparrowhawk (also named "black goshawk") and so, we could add #black_sparrowhawk as well. Do you agree?

Posted

fantastic!

Posted

If we are all ok with #humanresponse for chimps reacting to humans could we then add it to the keyword list, pls.?

Posted

All done!

Posted

I'm working on updating the bird guide with new species. If there are no objections, I will add a #red-capped_robin_chat to the keyword list and create a collection, since this seems to be the bird in ACP000cwba-d

I will also add the #blue-breasted_kingfisher from ACP000d8jw and adjacent videos.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to lauraklynn's comment.

Thanks for adding them, @lauraklynn

Posted

thank you!!

Posted

Could you add #hug with the next update - i made a tag group here https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0001lr
    Thanks!

Posted

Could you add #health_issue on the next update please - @AnLand came up with this tag and it's quite useful in addition to the #injury tag we already have - thanks!

tag group here: https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0001mt

Posted

OK, done.

Posted