Chimp & See Talk

New Chimp Matching Video Tutorial

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

As you know, the Chimp and See project includes several different activities: classification of all video clips, tagging of specific species and behaviors, and matching of individual chimps (and more recently, leopards). One of the comments we often hear from our newer volunteers is that they have trouble telling one chimp from another. To help speed up the learning process, the moderator team at Chimp and See would like to announce a new video tutorial!

In, "How to Recognize Chimpanzee Faces," you'll learn a step-by-step technique that shows you what to look for and how to compare individuals to find a match. It's loosely based on a concept used by sketch artists and facial recognition software, and is simple enough for anyone to follow and put to use. We'd love to have more of you join us in chimp matching, so if you don't have the hang of it yet, or have been hesitant to try, please take a look at the new tutorial:

How to Recognize Chimpanzee Faces (14 mins., English)

enter image description here

Afterward, join us back here and practice what you've learned on our newest site, Green Snowflake, or on any other active matching discussions. Good luck, and happy chimp matching!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to ksigler's comment.

Excellent resource, @ ksigler - I was curious as to who did the smooth voice-work on that, kudos to them!

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Thanks for this @Ksigler - I think it's going to be extremely useful. After going through it all, I still managed to get the final matching exercise wrong, but at least the video helped me realise where I'd gone wrong. Will hopefully get there in the end !

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

That's my voice, @Snorticus -- thank you! 😃

@Batfan - Learning from mistakes is sometimes the best way to learn. So yes, keep at it! 😃

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Wow @ksigler , awesome tutorial!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to PauDG's comment.

Thanks! I got some great input from the other mods that helped me polish it and make it as good as it is.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

No false modesty, Kris, the glory is all yours! 😄

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

This is great work @ksigler!! better get going myself 😃

Posted

• hoothoot by hoothoot

Good tutorial 😃 ! Thanks for providing it !

Posted