Chimp & See Talk

Time stamps in videos and time in spreadsheet

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Hi all,

I have a question. The time in the spreadsheet (spreadsheet, second column) is in some cases different from the time stamp in the video. Why? (It is in that sequence ACP0003t15 2013-11-22 in the spreadsheet and 2013-12-21 in the video time stamp.) As I am using the time stamp for orientation, it would be good to know how reliable that is. Thanks & best regards!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Hi - this actually is a technical glitch if the time zone of the camera and the computer it was downloaded on aren't in the same time zone this happens 😕

Posted

Hi, I have another question for clarification about the auto-populated time in the spreadsheet. I looked into that a bit more and have the impression that it is not the video time at all. It seems to be something like the upload time (year-month-date) in combination with a recorded minute (+ seconds) count. My question is: if the order of the videos is continuous in the spreadsheet (... 6-0, 6-15, 6-30, 6-45, 7-0 ...), can I be sure that these videos are in the same continuous order in the original un-cut videostream? Also, if the camera stops because there is no motion for one or more minutes and than starts over again: will there be a gap in the above mentioned video numbering or not? (I think, no.) As the Muddy Frost videos more often do not have a time stamp in each video piece that would help a lot in figuring out some complicated coming and going ...

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

You have it figured out. The 'times' are year/month/day, and then the videos are numbered sequentially within that day, so you're right, no gaps in the numbering when there's nothing going on.

Each video is 60 seconds long, and cut into 15 second sections for us to view. That's the _0 _15 _30 _45 part. These videos will not have any gaps in between.

There will always be a small gap in time between 6_45 and 7_0, even if there was something moving in frame at the end of 6_45, due to processing time on the camera. If there isn't something moving in the frame, the next numbered video could be hours from the last one.

So, yes, they're as continuous as they possibly can be. And if you're looking for timestamps, the X_0 videos should always have them, since they're at the start of the video.

Posted

Thanks, Quia!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Thanks Quia!

Posted