Chimp & See Talk

Orangutans are being decimated by fire, Indonesia needs international attention now.

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/expeditions/call-of-the-orangutan-research-in-the-midst-of-an-environmental-disaster/

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

This is such a tragic situation. I've read different spins on how the top level Indonesian government is responding, but it sounds like it is the local governments in bed with corporations that have led to years of corruption and disregard for the environment. So there's little enforcement of policy that conflicts with business interests, and the environment, citizens, and (ultimately, ironically) the economy will suffer for it.

The article is right that there isn't much coverage of this in the mainstream media, other than similar editorials saying "do something" (and the calls to action I've heard are more about the bigger underlying issues than the immediate fire-fighting ones). Were the world in a more peaceful time, it might be different. Unfortunately, this comes across as (comparatively) contained to one or a few countries, and a "should have seen it coming" consequence of luck running out on an annual practice. Not that I agree with that... It makes me very sad to think about the loss of that unique rainforest habitat and its diverse flora & fauna (particularly for me, the Sumatran tigers), not to mention the people living in that area who will likely deal with respiratory and other health problems for many years. 😦

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

I agree with you totally. But if there is any long term take home message it is looking at what we buy and consume and making choices that aren't contributing to these situations. Palm Oil is a huge problem and is now spreading to Africa, if western nations start boycotting palm oil, supply will go down to along with demand. Here was a great report recently from Congo on the threat of pam oil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdg9fjjf2A0 (Jean Robert Anonanga and Mark Gately are two really amazing conservationists working for ape (and other species) protection in Africa!)

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

For anyone else interested in a follow-up to this, I found a website for International Animal Rescue (IAR) that is working to rescue, rehabilitate, and relocate orangutans that lost their homes due to the fires. Some orangutans were left without food to point of starvation, and others made their way into people's fruit plantations where they were obviously not welcome. Their site has some touching stories about the animals they've been able to release into neighboring areas that are safer and have plenty of food. They are also working on preventative measures, as the same dry conditions that contributed to the fire are expected again this year.

Here is one of their most recent updates about a mother and infant: http://www.internationalanimalrescue.org/news/mama-nam-and-baby-rescued-starvation

There are other organizations working there, and fundraisers to help restore the rainforest, etc. I just came across this one and thought I would share it.

Posted