Chimp & See Talk

African farming simulation game

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

We've had some great discussions here (this one, for example) about the lack of food and poor economic situations that many people face in Sub-Saharan Africa. I recently ran across a game that attempts to simulate the challenges of being a farmer in that region. It's called 3rd World Farmer (the game is more sympathetic than its crude title implies) and the home page is here. For better browser compatibility, try this version.

While I'm not sure how realistic it is, and wildlife don't seem to be present in the game world (though you can purchase an elephant), I found that it did reinforce some of the points made in the above discussion. For example, I definitely saw how hunting bushmeat (again, not an option) would present an obvious and tempting solution to my struggle. I could also better imagine how it might feel to know people are spending millions of dollars to come study and protect wildlife while I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense to replace a chicken stolen by terrorists, buy medicine for my wife, or save up to dig a well. Tough decisions, and a tough game. Worth a look, especially if you like "tycoon" style games.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Thank you @ksigler - any tool that builds empathy gets full points in my books - this sounds really cool 😃

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Interesting find @ksigler It gives at least an impression of how hard this life must be.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

Wow, I really like the idea!! Going to try it 😃

Posted