Chimp & See Talk

Philosopher comments on science & apes watching movies?

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Interesting commentary by Alva Noë a philosopher at the University of California, Berkeley where he writes and teaches about perception, consciousness and art - on recent research and ape thinking processes. He mentions Christoper Kupenye. I was intrigued by Kupenye saying, of the apes in his studies: "We offer them a little day at the movies. They really seem to enjoy it."

http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2016/10/14/497910044/apes-may-be-more-like-us-than-we-thought

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

Saw the article. Just proves that apes are even more closely related and (in some cases) smarter than humans. I suppose since they seem to see the world the same way that the response to a movie might be the same.

What really upsets me is that people are surprised that these studies show more evidence in favor of animal minds, feelings and intelligence as though it never occurred to them that animals are anything other than a dumb hockey puck. All you have to do is look into their eyes and you can tell there is a consciousness and intelligence there.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to zoogirl1's comment.

Yes, if you live with animals this intelligence quickly becomes clear. I do get that the science MO is the scientific method though 😃

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Chris Krupenye is at the MPI now and he is a big fan of chimp&see of course! 😉 if you have any questions for him I would be happy to get him to answer them for you guys 😃

Posted