Chimp & See Talk

Frans de Waal

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

Has anybody heard of this guy? Surprised if you haven't. Just found out he is my daughter's professor at Emory! Even she is impressed and thinks he is so cool. So am I.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to zoogirl1's comment.

How exciting for her! I just started his book "Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are?" Let us know how it goes, I bet it will be fascinating.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Very cool! Tell her to tell everyone about chimp&see 😉

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to zoogirl1's comment.

Wow, that's cool news, @zoogirl1 - how amazing for your daughter! We talked about him quite a bit, way back in this thread about chimp learning. And yes, as @MimiA said, she should invite her class to C&S! 😄

Posted

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp

How funny, snorticus ... "are we smart enough ..." is at my bedside too 😃 With Frans de Waal I started to read all I could get about chimps ...long years ago now. Must be very cool to have him as a professor!

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

As an update ---- my daughter still thinks this man is the coolest thing ever. Any reference to studies or field work, documentaries or books about the subject, he is in it, wrote it or did it.

Watching a documentary about mirrors and elephants and self-recognition in the wild while in class ---- he's in it.

Constantly telling me what they are doing. Just incredible. Never heard so much about one class. Lucky

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to zoogirl1's comment.

How cool to get the inside scoop on de Waal classes!

Posted

• vestigial by vestigial

That guy is awesome and funny and his books are great! He gives lectures around the world and I was lucky enough to catch one at the Smithsonian National Zoo. I'd highly recommend if he is ever even remotely close giving a talk that you go to it! Plus, his Facebook page has some of the best posts. He's my version of a Rockstar. 8)

Posted