Chimp & See Talk

Chimp tool use behaviour

• AmandaCoganBarber by AmandaCoganBarber

Hi, I'm a novice so may be getting this completely wrong, but when I watch this clip I think this juvenile whilst using tools to break open food, seems to tune into the loud bangs in the distance of what may be another chimp using a larger tool to smash open food and immediately picks up a larger log and uses it to smash open its food.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

This is an older female juvenile whom we named Sabirah. I don't think that the nut-cracking is caused by the other chimp that you can hear. She just ate something and collected pieces of nuts with her fingers and now cracks some more. As she is already an adolescent, this is not her first nut-cracking I think and she is already quite good at it.

It's a nice find!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Thanks for your interest, Amanda!

To make life a bit easier for our scientist maybe you could stick to our offical tags? You'll find them all in this list:

And if you're in for the full threat, you migth want to read also this guide for new users.

Thanks a lot and happy tagging! 😃

Posted

• Kcoro07 by Kcoro07 scientist

Hi Guys,

While the nut-cracking here isn't caused by another individual, chimps often nut-crack in groups after traveling to or stumbling across a good patch of nuts. Thus the probable cracking sounds in the background. Full cracking efficiency is usually reached around 7 years of age with females proving to be more effective crackers than males. So this lady is pro!

Great find!

Posted