Chimp & See Talk

The Caribbean Primate Research Center hit by hurricane Maria

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I just read tonight that Cayo Santiago, the Caribbean Primate Research Center near Puerto Rico has been devastated by hurricane Maria. What sad news. A go-fund-me has been started for Relief for Cayo Santiago Employees by Lauren Brent & Amanda Accamando. They posted photos & an update an hour ago. If anyone is interested in this I posted a link below.

http://tinyurl.com/y9nfnxds

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

I of course do not want to deter anyone from sending support to people affected by the hurricane, but just want to point out that the monkeys here are culled and used in invasive experiments https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayo_Santiago

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

I personally think that this is an ugly comment that does not belong here.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

They have been able to row monkey chow over to the island which is good news since the island trees were leveled. Here is an article by Ed Yong posted this morning: http://tinyurl.com/yd29aaq9

@MimiA - I agree that there are always ethical concerns when animals are used for scientific research, but since these monkeys live on an island with no natural predators there must be some kind of population growth management.

I am not sure what the present policies are but the researchers on location seem to have genuine concern for the animals on the island in their present state of need even while the researchers themselves are coping with losing everything during the hurricane.

Posted

Hi @Snorticus - thanks for the update and for standing up for what you believe in!

Since there is such a massive human and animal toll here and clearly emotions are high, I don't think its time to have an ethical debate about population management but one day in the future, we certainly cold revisit this topic.

@AnLand: I think that we can have a space here where everyone's opinions concerning anything to do with primates are welcome even if we don't agree with each other. It would be great if it can be done with less judgement and more facts, since I am not sure if calling someone's comment ugly is really the atmosphere I am trying to promote here. Nevertheless, in the spirit of open communication I welcome it anyway, at least when it is directed at me; I will probably be more defensive and protective if it was being directed at someone else.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

I actually don’t think that this is a discussion about population management (or primates) at all.

The gofundme campaign is about helping people in need after a devastating hurricane, who happen to be employees of this research station. That’s why I think this comment is insensitive. I also think that you (maybe unwillingly) used your position as the project head to argue that one should better not help. “Ugly” might be a strong word. But I think that the comment was not OK given your position here and that’s why I am criticizing strongly this comment of yours.

Posted

I respect your opinion.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

More news from Cayo Santiago. Erica Dunayer working there via a Leakey Foundation Research Grant during the spring 2016 cycle has provided a post-hurricane update from Cayo Santiago, Puerto Rico on Thursday:

https://leakeyfoundation.org/from-the-field-cayo-santiago-puerto-rico/

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Thanks for sharing this news, @Snorticus. I appreciate these reminders of the often forgotten animal victims of natural and unnatural disasters.

I'm also fighting the urge to brain dump my thoughts on the ethical and political aspects of this story, and look forward to a time in the future when we can look at the facts objectively and discuss. (If there's ever a safe time to discuss such things on the internet...) But, it's great that we at least have a place where our volunteers can share information like this with each other. 😃

Posted