Chimp & See Talk

name?

• bulgaria_mitko by bulgaria_mitko

i dont get it, how we name the chimp?

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

When you find a video of a chimp with a good view of their features, generally their face and ears, you can post it to the Chimp ID board for that location. Please do this even if you think the rest of this is all way too complicated, it really helps!

There's a scientist in charge of each location board, who gives provisional numbers to chimps that have enough details visible to ID them.

When you find a chimp you think can be identified, you can check to see if it looks like any of the provisionally numbered chimps, or if it's a new one. If it's a chimp that's been seen before, then the people who found the matching video gets to name it.

This video is hard to ID from, because we don't see her face. We can tell that it's an adult female, because of the pink swellings on her behind, and because what we can see of her face is dark.

Posted

• Veegee by Veegee

yea, this is the part I don't really want to do, so will not participate anymore. I figure identifying or naming the chimps should be for the 'experts' that we are tagging them for. honestly, one chimp looks like any other chimp to me when they are sitting down, halfway out of camera range and just looking around. Which is basically all I have seen so far.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

You definitely don't have to do all the ChimpID stuff! Personally I split the two activities, I'll classify a bunch of videos and save any chimps I find to try and ID later, all at once. They're different enough activities that it's like two different projects. You can pick and choose which ones you want to do.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to Veegee's comment.

You're more than welcome to just tag the animals and completely ignore the Chimp ID portion, @Veegee -- we need people doing both things! 😃

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Thanks for your help Veegee - Every part is super important to the project and I can understand that the chimp ID stuff is not for everyone! Thank you!

Posted