Chimp & See Talk

White nose

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

I would love to start a discussion about this guy...😉

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Lucky us, there's another video of him(?) ACP00037py Shows off the white stripes on the side of the head.

Very goofy looking, like straps on a dark mask, with a big clown nose attached!

Posted

Wow, this is a super find!! he (?) is showing the white stripes like a top model 😉. I think I go for Lesser Spot-nosed Monkey.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_spot-nosed_monkey

http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/4225/0

and here is a Putty-nosed monkey...

http://www.arkive.org/greater-spot-nosed-guenon/cercopithecus-nictitans/

I think it´s getting clearer, isn´t it?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator

Oh, great! I was so curious to see some!! 😃 I really love this project!

Posted

• maurice_tijm by maurice_tijm

Yes Lesser Spot-nosed Monkey! The white ears/ white stripe just below the ear do it. You can see this monkey from the Kakum NP canopy walkway in Ghana very early morning together with Olive Colobus (travelles with the other monkeys on ground level/lower level, didn't see it) and Lowe's Mona Monkey.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to maurice_tijm's comment.

interesting! 😉

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I think I found another spot-nosed monkey -- my guess is cercopithecus nictitans

cercopithecus nictitans

Posted

hey @jwidness, it´s a very nice one,

could you please post the link to the video too?

Thanks!

Posted

ACP0003eyt

hope that works -- there are 4 videos in total (ending with t, u, v, and w), but only this first one is any good

#redwater

Posted

• tsering by tsering

Nice find! he's adorable 😃

Posted

Sooooooo beautiful!!!

Thanks!

Posted

Another spot-nosed: ACP0002x1e
    enter image description here

Posted

There is a set of four videos with at least one spot-nosed, and also some mangabeys.

Video 1: ACP0002x1b

Two mangabeys cross, then a guenon descends in the background.

Video 2: ACP0002x1c

The guenon is joined by another guenon, then one leaves toward the left.

Video 3: ACP0002x1d

The other guenon hangs around on the right side of the frame.

Video 4: ACP0002x1e

The spot-nosed monkey comes in from the left and the other monkey leaves on the right.

I can't see a spot on the nose in any video except the last, but my intuition is that the guenons are all spot-nosed in this series. Thoughts?

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

I think the one in the middle here is a Mona: ACP0002x1c

Between 4-7 seconds it looks at the camera, I see white above the black eye mask, whereas the spot nosed have an entirely black face except for the nose.

What a busy place! I'm not sure about the rest of them, we only get fleeting glimpses.

Posted

I completely agree that I don't see a white nose on that one, but the movement pattern (leaves toward the left side of the screen, and in the next video, the camera shakes a tiny bit as the spot-nosed approaches) really suggests to me they are the same monkey. The other spot-nosed is total conjecture based on the presence of the first spot-nosed.

Posted

I saw this one ACP0004eug, where the spot-nosed is also in the background and the spot is still very obvious. I think I must be mistaken about the spot-nosed in this video. I wasn't really expecting to find three monkey species in such close proximity.

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

As a side note, I like that @Mimi started using #multispecies for clips like ACP0004eug, so we're able to easily see the differences between monkeys, as well as relative size among all the animals. I hope that catches on!

Posted