Chimp & See Talk

aggressive chimp?

• mantide by mantide

test
    talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP0004z10

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I actually don't think that this is a chimp. The scene is very long (almost 30 minutes) and I could not get one reasonable look at the "destroyer". At other sites, the leopards have been messing with the camera frequently. I cannot see here the typical leopard coloration and also do not think that a leopard would be so persistent to play with the camera. I cannot re-call whether we had a chimp messing with the camera like this. Some youngsters were interested, but that's all.

I really have no idea. There is fur and the animal (if that here is an arm, what I think) does not seem to be very big. I don't know whether squirrel would do such thing?

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I agree that I don't think it's a chimp. I wonder if it could be a hyrax?

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Very cool! I want to watch more, but so far, I vote rat.

Posted

I think, it must be an animal that is using its hands like squirrels or rats (good idea, @kisgler). I did not see enough from the hyrax (hyraxes???) to know about this. And of course, a hyrax is quite big in my impression.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator

If you're bored and have nothing better to do, here you have some more! Enjoy your investigation 😉 (The first one is my favourite!)

ACP0004z0z || ACP0004z10 || ACP0004z11 || ACP0004z12 || ACP0004z13 || ACP0004z14 || ACP0004z15 || ACP0004z16 || ACP0004z17 || ACP0004z18 || ACP0004z19

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to yshish's comment.

Hahaha, nothing better to do? If there was a tv channel for watching animals mess with cameras, I would probably have it on 24/7! Especially when they're as persistently curious as this little one. (Discovery Channel, are you listening?)

Thanks also to @mantide for finding this gem, btw. 😃

Good view of the head at about :03 seconds in: ACP0004z01

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

Yay, I totally understand you! 😉 (I'm just too busy with other stuff to be able to watch anything in TV)

ACP0004z0z Have you seen its eye? 😃

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to yshish's comment.

Definitely looks like a rat!!

Posted

Look, what @JoHB found ACP0004z38. He thinks, it might be a honey-badger. What do you think?

enter image description here

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator

Agree, it does look like one to me.

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Yay, mystery solved!! Good work, @JoHB (and @AnLand). 😄

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Awesome! And it ended up being something none of us had guessed 😛

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Honey badger don't care. 😃

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Lol @DZM And this is excellent proof! What an ordeal that poor camera went through. I found this clip - ACP0004z0j - that I think may be one of the field team members discovering and documenting the damage. Wish we could see the photos. 😃

Posted