Gorgeous big bird

• wandawmn by wandawmn

ACP0005wct

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

It is a great blue turaco.

Posted

• wandawmn by wandawmn

Interesting bird, is it true that chimps eat them?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to wandawmn's comment.

What? Don't say this! (But I do not have any idea about this. Sorry.)

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to wandawmn's comment.

source?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Chimps eat pretty much anything they can get their hands on, don't they? ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

nope ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I think you are thinking of humans there ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted

• wandawmn by wandawmn

was running a search engine query for great blue turaco... this snippet from yahoo answers popped u but the link was broken, hardly credible, which is why I asked.

Popular Q&A

Q: Does the great blue turaco have any enemies?

A: yeah eagles and chimps! Read More ยป

Source: answers.yahoo.ca

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Interesting! I must say I am not so sure of the full list of bird species they pray on since it is pretty rare, but I found this:
    http://mahale.main.jp/PAN/15_2/15(2)_04.html

They state "Most of developmental stages of bird prey were eggs, nestlings or injured adults, without either ability to fly or resistance to predators."

also "capture of nestlings from their nests seems similar to that of non-primate mammals in that it is solitary and opportunistic." so in that sense @DZM is totally right too! At least for birds, they do seems to be eating whatever they get their hands on!

Posted

• wandawmn by wandawmn

Good reading, very interesting article in the references that id love to read too :
    Huffman MA, Kalunde MS 1993. Tool-assisted predation on a squirrel by a female chimpanzee in the Mahale Mountains, Tanzania. Primates 34: 93-98.

Posted