Chimp & See Talk

Best of 2015!

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

The Best of 2015 event has ended. Thanks for participating!

Click here to jump to the results!

We've had a great year at Chimp & See, thanks to you, and along the way, you've discovered some really amazing things caught on the camera traps. We thought it would be fun to look back over the great footage from this year and share some of the best! Who was your favorite chimp? Was there a clip that made you LOL or say "eww," or that was totally unexpected? What were the best and most memorable clips of 2015? Share your favorites, and then we'll vote!

We want to see the best clips in the following categories:

• Favorite chimp
    • Funniest clip
    • Best camera reaction
    • Creepiest clip
    • Cutest clip
    • Biggest surprise

To nominate your favorites, just post a reply in this thread that includes the clip ID (e.g., ACP0001234) and the category for each nomination. This thread will stay open for 2 weeks so you have time to find your favorites, and if you have trouble narrowing it down, it's okay to nominate more than one clip for a category. Then, we'll collect all the nominations, and you can vote on your favorites for all of 2015.

If you have a clip in mind but can't find it, or you want some ideas, here are some places to look:

Sound like fun? Let's get started! We look forward to seeing your favorites. ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I'll put in my nominations! I had a hard time choosing, so I put in quite a few ๐Ÿ˜‰

Favorite chimp For me has to be Esme. We just have sooo many clips of her (I think over 40 separate occasions!) that I feel like I've gotten to know her a bit more than some others. In fact, I couldn't pick a clip that best represented her, so I'm putting in three and maybe someone else can help narrow it down (or maybe I've missed an even better one)? ACP00057b5 ACP00054f3 ACP0004vb9 She's clearly ancient and has been through a lot, but keeps on trucking : )

Funniest clip I love this video of a mangabey helping with the transect survey ACP0003r5c . Also love this little guy tripping ACP00072k0 and this clumsy red duiker ACP00039mg

Best camera reaction ACP0006jge or ACP0006hsd

Creepiest clip I'm going to go with ACP0003qe1, but really any of the spider ones.

Cutest clip Ok, I don't really think this is the absolute cutest clip, but I just noticed the ID ends in bff, so I had to mention it: ACP0006bff -- ACP0006bfc is actually a cuter one of that pair. Also ACP00028yp and ACP0002dz4 and ACP0006yj0 and ACP00078y1. I think I need to stop, but there are so many more!

Biggest surprise ACP00054hm I like this chimp nearly falling out of the sky ๐Ÿ˜‰

I think mine are biased toward more recent sites, hopefully we'll get some older ones too! I'm looking forward to seeing what others nominate ๐Ÿ˜„

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

I have to still think about my favourite chimp (I am torn between Zeus, Dodge and Roux) but I want to put my nomination in for funniest, which i sometimes watch when i am feeling down: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP00039mg (which @jwdiness also chose ๐Ÿ˜ƒ )

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Best of 2015! My favorites are these ones:

Favorite chimp: Linda - she is just so beautiful! ACP0004tjn

enter image description here

Funniest clip: I bookmarked this video ACP0004f8p and watch it whenever I need something to pick me up. After watching it several times I just have to laugh and can go back to work.

Best camera reaction: Peter in ACP0003vy2

Biggest surprise: ACP0006mk4 I did not know at all that there are West African lions and did not expect them here at Dry Lake. That find just blew my mind.

enter image description here

Posted

• rieta by rieta

I just want to annouce clip ACP00062ew for the weirdest clip: disabled cattle with its own horn in the head/cheek.

Best regards

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to rieta's comment.

Wow, that poor thing! I was thinking we could start a category for abnormalities, but I'm afraid we'd just reignite the 3rd nipple debate. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Perhaps "weird" clips should be grouped under surprise or creepy.. in this case, I will include this clip under biggest surprise, if that's okay, @rieta.

Posted

I'm loving these suggestions, by the way! It's so fun to see what other people have found interesting. Keep them coming!

Posted

• HMPenguins by HMPenguins

I quite like ACP00036uj for funniest, but I have to say @jwidness camera reaction (ACP0006jge) is awesome.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Nice choice everyone so far!

phew...it took me quite a while to select my favs among all the possible videos.So here are my nominations:

Favourite chimp: I was torn between Dodge and Tyra. But Tyra made it: ACP0006cfx and ACP0006cfz I think you can't blame me for that. ๐Ÿ˜„ She's just such a nice lady and seems so very much interested in the things going on around her.

Funniest: either a similar one to @HMPenguins ACP0002w1s but even more so the talking baboon ACP0006z8s I keep going back to this little complaining guy for a good giggle.

Best camera reaction: I think this baboon is doing a hell of a job to gather all his family members on camera: ACP00073yg But then the leopard is also very nice: ACP0003yjg

creepiest clip: For me it's the dancing snake ACP00040gu

Cutest clip: There are so many but I chose this because it's the only one I have ever seen: the "porcupiglet" ACP0006sv1

Biggest surprise: The vocalizing and drumming video of Dodge. This one really startled me! ACP000564a The fact that this handicapped chimp acts with such a confidence was surprising as well.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Favourite chimp: ACP0006cc2 Absolutely no doubt: ROUX, please look at her!!

one...isnยดt she lovely???? ๐Ÿ˜—

Funniest clip: Piki the `Pooยด : ๐Ÿ˜› ACP00064or

Camera reaction: I know there are better ones, but I find this one interesting and I love it: ACP0000b7b (elephants deserve a place in my nominations).

Creepiest clip: here I have to agree with @jwidness: ACP0003qe1 ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Cutest clip: #MF7Inf20... this guy is really touching โค โค โค ACP0004tfv .

one

Biggest surprise: ACP00064jj I found this leopard/lion clip simply amazing :]

Posted

I have my vote for best camera reaction: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP0004hiw ๐Ÿ˜„ How a Bongo can move so gracefully in tight forest amazes me! and my biggest surprise goes to the first time you guys found a bushbaby, i didn't think we'd get those on camera: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP0003rap

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi all!!

here my nominations ๐Ÿ˜‰

Favorite chimp :

Funniest clip:

Best camera reaction :

Creepiest clip:

Cutest clip:

Biggest surprise:

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

I have been super busy recently and haven't had any time for C&S, but I can sneak some nominations in. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Favorite Chimp

Abile and mom Alexis were the first chimps I saw a lot of, rather than just single clips. Watching Abile try to handle a rock as big as his/her body never gets old, either. ACP000293g

Funniest clip

ACP00039u4 This log is the source of much delicious fungus, and great acrobatic failures, for duikers. This one managed to get on top.. for a while.

ACP0003lkd Diana Monkey playtime

Cutest Clip

ACP00004v7 ACP00004up A pair of Checkered Elephant Shrews, one of the oddities that was found in Quiet Wood, they are adorable with their ridiculous muzzles.

Surprises

ACP0003cpl Jentink's Duiker having a snack in daylight!

Posted

Please forgive my long list, I had a hard time narrowing these down! Luckily some of you already nominated the ones I was thinking about, so that was a help.

Favorite chimp (All from Red Water, as that was my first site, so it feels like home. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ )

• Sugar, as already proposed by @PauDG.
    • King - I love this sweet old guy, and we got to see a lot of him in multiple tool use sequences. Here he is enjoying a meal despite being interrupted by a young whippersnapper: ACP00038vj
    • RWJuv04 - this clever little chimp has a special place in my heart because of her(?) brilliant attempt at carrying her rock. ACP0002ra1 Though it didn't last long ( ACP0002ra2 ), I'm confident she figured it out eventually!

Funniest clip

Lots of funny clips to pick from! @AnLand 's pick makes me laugh until my stomach hurts. I also really enjoy:

• This bratty little baboon who is bad at grooming: ACP0006z3g
    • This one of little Rocco, who kills me with all his swagger: ACP0004amq

Best camera reaction

Animals playing with cameras are my favorite clips, hands down, and some good ones have already been mentioned. I'll add:

• The epic honey badger attack from Crimson Dew that had us guessing for weeks until this clip was found: ACP0004z38
    • This mona monkey trying to eat the camera that I just adore, ACP0005bxe.
    • Any of the baboon clips, but here's one that reminded me of a baboon home movie: ACP00073wv

Creepiest clip

• Check out the large insect walking across the water: ACP0004lw4 Eww, ick, blah, that's enough about that.
    • Also, while I love snakes, there was one anxiety-inducing sequence that was one of my favorites. In this clip, ACP0002yqj, a mouse is wandering about, totally oblivious to the snake's head that is gradually extending out from the tree near the center, and is only about 1 foot away at :14 seconds.

Cutest clip

• Sugar is so cute, he has to be here, too: ACP0002wba That last frame is too much!
    • But Sugar has tough competition with this freakin' adorable sooty mangabey whose cuteness takes 2 clips: ACP00030ur ACP00030us

Biggest surprise

I had a lot for this category, including the (likely) green mamba, which @Boleyn put down for creepiest. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Other than that..

• These elephants freaking out ACP0002o89
    • This guy ACP0005k72, and I was also surprised to see the dancing guy that #PauDG already listed
    • And, these sooty mangabeys playing "the floor is lava" ACP0004ows

Posted

• jurassicworld by jurassicworld

Best camera reaction: Either ACP0004zz3 because of the way the duiker sniffs the camera, or ACP0003rwj because of the way the hippo's head just comes right into view.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I would like to nominate this video ACP0000krv (gorilla carrying an infant) for the cutest category. I did not suggest anything for this category before, so I hope it's still ok.

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Of course! If you think of any others, feel free to post them. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Just wanted to remind everyone that our 2 week nomination period is just about up...

Please make any additional suggestions by 10:00pm (US Eastern Time) on Wednesday, 12/23.

On Wednesday night, we'll collect all the nominations and set up a poll for the voting. It may take a day or two (not to mention the holiday), but as soon as it's ready, we'll post the link. And just in case you're not a Chimp & See Addict and here every day(!), don't forget you can follow the Blog, Twitter, or Facebook sites for the latest from the "Best of 2015" event, and other interesting news.

Thanks to all who have made suggestions so far!

Posted

Since no one else nominated him, I'm picking Zeus as my favourite Chimp ๐Ÿ˜ƒ http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP0000948

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator

Hey,

I'm sorry for such late suggestions but I've been too busy elsewhere ๐Ÿ˜‡ I haven't looked what others suggested, forgive me if I will repeat the same ones:

Merry Christmas! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Zuzi

Posted

Thanks, Mimi & Zuzi!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Iโ€™m late to this party but I think Iโ€™ll still post as I enjoyed looking at everyone elseโ€™s picks and comments. So many fascinating animal clips weโ€™ve seen at chimp & see itโ€™s hard to narrow it down!

ACP00064ot - Funniest: Piki slapping his/her hand down & hopping off down the path. ksiglerโ€™s comment โ€œwelp, my work is done!โ€ made me lol! ACP000058d - Funniest runner up: mangabey stick control.

ACP00001bs - Fave is hard, probably Dodge, what a character! Followed by pretty Roux, and have to mention fluffy old Winston. What a great face!

ACP0002wbo - adding โ€œCoolestโ€ as a random category because it was so cool watching this closeup of Sugar grabbing onto Honey for the ride.

ACP0005ckf - Best cam. reaction: Dodge sniffing his way along, spots camera & nearly falls over, quickly recovers & plays it uber-cool, heh.

ACP0002bnz - Creepy/cool: Watched what we first thought was a tail that Christophe IDโ€™ed as a black and white lipped cobra a zillion times, itโ€™s so hypnotic.

ACP0003t0y - Cutest: this juvenile pestering another juvenile unmercifully!

ACP0004tjg - Surprise: I listen to the clips with headphones often turned way up, this one got my heart really going.

Posted

Thank you to everyone who nominated and voted in our Best of 2015 event! I hope you enjoyed the chance to reminisce over our best finds, and maybe enjoy some you had missed before. But now you want to know the results, right? Without further delay.... (insert drumroll here)...

The Best of Chimp & See 2015:

Favorite chimp:

Winner: ๐Ÿ† MFInf20 ๐Ÿ† | Runners Up: Sugar and Abile

MFInf20
    Sugar
    Abile

Funniest clip:

Winner: ๐Ÿ† Duiker log fail ๐Ÿ† | Runners Up: Diana monkey playtime and Field team dancer

Duiker
    Diana monkey
    Dancer

Best camera reaction:

Winner: ๐Ÿ† Leopard attack ๐Ÿ† | Runners Up: Baboon camera adjustment and Chimp goes knock knock

Leopard
    Baboons
    Knocking

Creepiest clip:

Winner: ๐Ÿ† Snake stands up ๐Ÿ† | Runners Up: Spider dangles in front of camera and Hypnotic cobra

Snake
    Spider
    Cobra

Cutest clip:

Winner (tie): ๐Ÿ† Mom, Dad, and a porcupette
    and Young mangabey opens wide
    ๐Ÿ† | Runner Up: A kiss from Mom

Porcupines
    Mangabey
    Kiss

Biggest surprise:

Winner: ๐Ÿ† Elephant excitement
    ๐Ÿ† | Runners Up: Dodge's drumming display and Our first lions

Elephant
    Dodge
    Lions

And that's it! Thank you again, and now it's time to get back out there and see what amazing chimps, funny behaviors, or surprising scenes you can discover. The hunt for the Best of Chimp & See 2016 is just 11 months away! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Thanks ksigler, those were all fabulous!

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

thanks @ksigler for this initiative...it was really fun and I love the results!!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Love going back over the terrific animals we've seen so far - great job ksigler!

Posted