Chimp & See Talk

Youth or Adult?

• Sheppy2 by Sheppy2

I find it difficult to age a single chimp because there is no scale. I have been classifying chimps with dark faces as adult and pale faces as youth. Is that correct?
    Sheppy

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Hi @Sheppy2,

the face color is definitely a good indicator, but it does not always work (or not on its own). A very good indicator is the white anal tuft of juveniles. If it's there, it's a juvenile for sure - but it does not work always the other way round. There might be even infants with no or just a tiny anal tuft. (I will try to find a better picture.)

enter image description here

Other traits of juveniles are the absence of full sexual swellings (in girls) and visible testicles (in boys). But even that is debatable. E.g. I classify Yeye ( ACP000cezr ) as an adult female, but the science team takes her as a juvenile (or adolescent). It's a gradual process as in humans ...

You will notice the different body build in infants and juveniles, maybe some difficulties with body coordination, but latest with adolescents, it's getting difficult to decide. Hope, that helps for now.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

For comparison for your situation:

Your juvenile:

Another juvenile (with an adult female) from ACP000cew4

Yeye (the young female)

An adult male from ACP000cf3y

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

In the future, feel free to also check the Frequently Asked Questions for immediate answers when you're having trouble. In fact, there is a guide for chimp youth vs adult posted there already. : )

Posted