Chimp & See Talk

New tag with number and _chimp?

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

I've seen this kind of tagging in the last days #1_chimp #2_chimp etc.
    Is this officially and are we to use it like this as of now? Do we still use #chimp with no number?

Thanks for clarification!

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Mimi mentioned it briefly here, I don't know any more about it, but definitely keep using #chimp too please! : ) #coldfire

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

that helped, thanks @jwidness!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Hi!

Yes, please keep using #chimp no matter what 😃

We want to start adding the #1_chimp, #2_chimp, etc tags to help us differentiate cases where we know there are more chimps but they are too unclear to even give a temporary identity code to.

That way if a video has #chimpname tag and a #1_chimp tag we know there is only one chimp in the video. If there is a #chimpname tag and a #2_chimp tag, we know there is one clear chimp but that there is also another chimp in the video but it is too difficult to identify.

This is important because we are really interested in chimpanzee party size (how/when chimps are travelling together versus on their own) especially because it has been suggested that chimpanzee party size varies according to ecological factors and possibly also that it is different in different chimpanzee subspecies (which also might boil down to ecology)!

We have been doing some updates on the science side of things and are hoping to add some more tags in the near future and want to put it all in one big post - but you can already start with the number_chimp tags if you feel so inclined 😃

THANKS!!!!

some light reading on chimpanzee party size/composition:

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

@MimiA: Are infants counting as 1 chimp (or juveniles for that matter)? I guess, own kids do not really matter for association patterns (not sure about whether they matter for party size), but for pure counting here, they do matter. So, do we count the dependent offsprings, or not? E.g. at Cool Silence, the infants did not get names, so you cannot determine from #chimpname and #count_chimp whether there is another chimp present or just the infant.

Posted

Yes, every chimp should be counted.

I don't know why the infants where not named at cool silence. I will speak to the science team about that, they should be 😃

Posted

more info on how to do this sort of tagging, here: https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP0000003/discussions/DCP00012qa?page=1&comment_id=5730fa78f96efa00c200672d

Posted