Chimp & See Talk

pink brushes

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp

Im just curious. Some of the scientists are having these pink brushes you can see here in this clip. Anyone an idea what for?? 😃 chimp-cheerleader?

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

LOL, I don't know but i am asking around!

Posted

so far no one knows what they are but I'll keep trying to find an answer 😃

Posted

tension increases 😃

Posted

I've asked 3 people now (who have also asked people) who have spent decades at this site and no one knows! its a real mystery!

Posted

@luca-chimp - in what other videos did you see it? 😃

Posted

Its the same scientist here: ACP000bdqb ACP000bdqd … I have in mind that I saw two men (this one and another) with this brushes … but I cannot find them. The first time I saw it, I didnt mind … some days later I saw it again, but hadnt marked the other clip

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Here: ACP000be9u

Posted

@AnLand you are brilliant 😃 I had no idea, that I had tagged it ... yes, this was the other scene.

Posted

Thanks, i will send the new clips around too!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

A pretty good close-up in this clip, around :07 secs: ACP000bdq9 This is a long shot, but could it be some sort of sticky trap used to collect things in the air as they walk around? Just thinking, what would require so many distinct surfaces going in different directions... almost like a feather duster, meant to collect dust. And the pink reminds me of agar plates or petri dishes used to grow bacteria.

Posted

We found the answer!!!

I got this email today 😃

Hey Mimi,

the mystery about the pink toilet brushes is solved...

As it turns out, the pink things are fake seedlings -plastic drinking straws for a forest regeneration research done by Fredrick Ssali - very creative!

and then i found this blog post to go along with it 😃 http://bwindiresearchers.wildlifedirect.org/2013/03/08/fredericks-fake-seedlings/

A big thank you to my MPI colleagues Nicole Seiler, Martha Robbins and Ed Wright for tracking down the answer!

Posted

Fake seedlings 😃 unbelievable … but a great project!
    I wait for the day, we see the first chimp fishing termites with the pink brushes ...stylish tools 😉

Thanks! @MimiA and the others who helped to still my curiosity

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Wow, that is really cool! My favorite "new things you never thought about"!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to luca-chimp's comment.

thanks @luca-chimp for bringing it up! its been bothering me (and ive been bothering everyone else about it) all week!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

What an innovative idea! Thank you, @MimiA for helping to solve this!!

Posted