Chimp & See Talk

Great video of zoo-housed yellow-backed duiker family

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

The Cincinnati Zoo has a yellow-backed duiker family and recently posted a nice long video of them. You can see the little one has no yellow on her back at all! I especially love the close-ups of her head where you can see the teeny tiny horn buds and the hint of a tuft of red hair. : ) You can also see some mating behavior from the dad -- lots of sniffing and licking, a flehmen response, and an attempted mounting. Maybe the little one will have a new sibling before too long ; )

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to jwidness's comment.

Wow, that golden dorsal stripe against the glossy dark brown is just stunning in this extended daylight look at them! I wonder if they are still nocturnal in artificial non-predator environments like zoos?

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

In Mammals of Africa, Kingdon describes them as crepuscular, but more nocturnal around areas with human activity, so maybe their activity pattern is pretty flexible? I'm not sure I really buy the crepuscular description though, they have been pretty nocturnal at every site we've seen so far...

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Thanks for sharing Jane!!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

If you want to know more about the differences between the yellow-backed duikers in East Africa (i.e., Restless Star) and West Africa (e.g., Aged Violet or Red Water), @jwidness published yesterday a great blogpost about this here: http://chimpandsee.blogspot.de/2016/10/yellow-backed-duikers.html

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

I watched the video and thought that they were different from the yellow-backs we see since the back end was different. Good to know there are 2 kinds.

Posted