Chimp & See Talk

Honey badger tracking

• lesleylupo by lesleylupo

I don't often see hunters in action. The honey badger is hot on the trail of a duiker...

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to lesleylupo's comment.

This is a really cool find. I don't think honey badgers would hunt duikers for food, but I don't know what else it could be. Unless they're just friends playing hide and seek, which makes for a lovely story. 😄

Posted

LOL that's a lovely way to think... I watched a documentary about them and occasionally they will go after jackals and antelope. Maybe it was a young one and it was not quite sure what it smelled.

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Oh, that's Janga! He (or she) is seen with presumably the same duiker 20 minutes later in ACP000bhbm.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

This is so neat! I'm gonna ask around if anyone has heard of this before 😃

Posted

The answers so far:

" in the honey badger literature that i read there are only two possible interactions that you can have with an honey badger: either he wants to eat you or you want to eat him. In the most complete study of honey badger behavior that I've found (Begg 2001, PhD Thesis), there are reported interspecific interactions of intraguild predation and feeding association (basically commensalism: other predators eat what the honey badger chases).it doesnt seem the case here. Another paper says that HB can eat mammals as large as aardworf, bat earded fox and springhare (i honestly don't know how big these species are). seems reasonable that they can eat a duiker. I don't know about their hunting behavior, but that could be very different given the diversity of habitats. all of the studies i know refer in fact to savannah environment. that badger also seems to miss one leg, so maybe its hunting behavior is somehow "hindered" "

"I don't see any interactions here. I saw a duiker that might be followed 10s later by a badger, but both walk in a way that do not seem to be influenced by the other one. Terribly hard to say much with such a small window, as we don't really know if the badger is following the duiker or just taking the same path for a short while. The badger is just cooly wlaking and stop in the middle to look around. Not much of a hunting behaviour to me."

I will let you know as I hear more 😃

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

One more piece of info: Janga is seen in ACP000bhaz, but the camera was triggered in ACP000bhay, where you can see the timestamp of 16:18 on the same day (10/30). Something other than Janga definitely triggered the camera, though you can't see what it was, perhaps our duiker friend was with Janga even then?

Posted

Hmmm...when I first saw the duiker go past, it seemed nervous instead of the step, munch, step munch they generally do. And that HB is also not just rambling along though they don't seem to just meander, do they?

😃
    Lesley

Posted

I am moving these comments from yshish and anland over here to clean up the 2016 chat (where i nominated this video 😃 ):

by yshish MODERATOR in response to MimiA's comment
    Nice! But, haven't we seen such a multispecies before? I would swear that we have (duiker together with a honey-badger) but can't find it in my collections 😦 Anyone able to filter the tags to figure out?

And I've just realized that one of my clip nominations was from Lingering Shape!! So I edited my post. Sorry for that.

by AnLand MODERATOR
    We had this amazing video ACP000bk3k between a yellow_backed duiker chasing away a jackal (with a clear cross-species interaction). I cannot remember another one with a badger. Though, I still love this youtube video from Ngogo of chimps hunting (unsuccessfully) a honey badger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpwc8LHg8mI

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

Whoa! this duiker-hunts-jackal-video is worth a surprise tag as well 8)

Posted