Chimp & See Talk

Facial Structure Question

• MollieKemp by MollieKemp

Around 0:14, there is a camera reaction. When this duiker looks at the camera, I noticed little protrusions on both sides of the muzzle- is this normal for some species duikers or just individual variation in facial structure?

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Hi, I am no duiker expert at all but I think it is normal. Some other people here are way better than me on this topic for sure, so maybe they can tell you more 😃

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to MollieKemp's comment.

Just a guess, but I think that may just be the fleshy part of its muzzle. It just looks odd due to the lighting and angle. You can see closer up (though the protrusions aren't visible) in the next clip, ACP000btth. (edit: thanks, @Snorticus)

Also, this photo shows the normal fleshiness at the corner of the mouth and around the nose, which you can see may appear to protrude if seen at the right angle from the front.
    From Ultimate Ungulate:

Yellow-backed duiker

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to MollieKemp's comment.

Hi Mollie, Here is a side view of this duiker in the next two parts of the clip series for comparison:

ACP000btth ACP000btti

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Thanks for catching my typo, @Snorticus 😉

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to ksigler's comment.

Actually I got curious and looked at the other parts of the clip, then was about to delete my post as redundant after rereading your post, then realized about the URL, so just hit submit 😉

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

I just want to say that discussions like this make me so happy 😃 I love the endless paths these knowledge searches can take 😄 and how friendly and respectful everyone is!

Posted

• midnightsun by midnightsun

The small cut and swelling between snout and eye is a gland for marking, right? They rub their faces together for bonding, I think.

Posted