Chimp & See Talk

Colobus guereza

• Orohena by Orohena

Hello,

A new discussion to follow up on this one : https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP000dp56

As I said, I went recently through the List of Officials Tags and saw that the Guereza was under the Colobus section.
    I checked and saw that the Guereza is a species of the Colobus Genus.
    I decided to tag both Guereza and Colobus when I saw one, very recently. I thought if someone wanted to do a study about colobus, it will make it easier. But if it is better to keep only the species as a tag, let me know, it will be easy to me to change it (I tagged only few videos like that).

Let me know what is the best !

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

hi @Orohena - yes #monkey #primate #colobus and #guereza are all good tags to use! thank you!!!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Hi @Orohena!

Of course, you can tag with other specifications as well, but it does not add any information here. Tagging a #guereza with #colobus or #monkey or #primate is redundant information as we already know that a guereza is an Eastern black-and-white colobus and with that a monkey and with that a primate. It might work for tag group collections, but as these are limited to 500 entries, you never get them all in one place at Chimp&See and for the data analysis other filtering mechanisms are more important.

So, you can do this, but it does not add any more information than the #guereza tag already contains.

Thanks!

Posted

Actually for our data analysis it can be quite helpful so please do not hesitate to tag with even the broad categories too 😃

Posted

• Orohena by Orohena

I "re open" this discussion following tagging here : https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP000d8co

I did tag monkey, primate, colobus for guereza for a while thinking it might help scientist studying all colobus (to avoid them looking for colobus and then guereza to have all videos). However, as no one else was doing it, I stopped thinking it would not help that much.

My question is:

• do I leave it like this ?
    • do I edit my previous comments to remove the monkey, primate, colobus when not necessary ?
    • do you want me to go back on all guereza video to tag them with all the tags, or only the colobus one (I would be happy to do so if you find it useful) ?

Let me know 😃

Thanks

Posted

Hi

The broad category tags are very useful so please keep them 😃 and for the ones that don't have them it is also good as it is. The most important is the "species" tag but often we also want a collection of colobus or monkey videos so those tags are very helpful for sorting too and sometimes of course we don't know the species so the broad categories are great as is too.

thanks for your work!

cheers
    mimi

Posted