Chimp & See Talk

Camera shakes but nothing seen

• Batfan by Batfan

Please could I just ask how best to classify clips like this - I seem to have had an awful lot of them recently. Obviously 'nothing here' is not right as there's clearly something moving the camera but as there are none of those brief flashes of a hand or tail, voices or animal sounds that usually help in making an educated guess, it's hard to be sure. I've tended to go for human but am not really sure if that's right.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

That's not easy and we discussed it among the moderators with the science team. On the one hand, classifying "Nothing here" means it will be retired sooner (after only three classifications). And it would be correct as nothing is seen. But on the other hand, the science team wants to know when the cammaintenance occurs, so classfying human (or classifying as "nothing here" and tagging human) is also OK.

My personal take here (and in most of those videos) is to classify as "human". In this video specifically because you hear the researchers talking. But you are right, we should find an overall solution as an unclear situation means that people will classify both alternatives and the video is even longer in classification ...

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

I don't have a moment know to check back on the old discussions but as we have started analyzing the data, I would say now as a general rule of thumb that if you see nothing, classifying as nothing, that is the best way to go. You can then go ahead and add hashtags and notes under the video if there is more information 😃 like #human #cammaintenance #vocal-only (edit: tag corrected) - we don't have a tag for offcamera but we could start one that covers this situation - propose something 😃

having these types of videos retired fast is better for us and more fun for everyone we think 😃

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Please be aware that the correct hashtag is #vocal-only (hyphen, not an underscore).

We also have several videos tagged with #offcamera (for nutcracking out of sight), should we make this an official tag, too?

Thanks @MimiA!

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Thanks both. That helps make things clearer.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

offcamera as an official tag works for me as well!

Posted