Chimp & See Talk

Black-marked duikers

• jokergirl by jokergirl

At least I think it's a duiker.

There's one (maybe an individual, maybe more than one) animal that has turned up several times on both night- and daytime cameras that has a peculiar black marking on its back. I was trying to ID the exact species via wiki, but I can't find any species with this particular marking. Any ideas?

I'll see if I can post more example videos when I come across them. The last two times I tried to ID it something bugged and I got thrown out so I didn't even fav them... it's definitely trying not to be ID'd! πŸ˜„

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Here's another, at night, of course... ACP00006xv They're pretty big! Do you remember the colouration from the daytime camera or shall we go on the hunt for a daylight video to get a better idea of what they look like?

Posted

• jokergirl by jokergirl

Yes, it was definitely red-coated with a blackish mark on the back. Can't say anything about horns or the like, sadly. It's all antelope butts!

Posted

• jokergirl by jokergirl

Here's another... I think!

http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP00007ow this might be a different individual, not sure

http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP00001sj

Posted

• zorglax by zorglax

Here is it again:

ACP0000ejr

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Red-flanked duiker (Cephalophus rufilatus)?
    let me know your opinions πŸ˜‰

Posted

• jokergirl by jokergirl

That would be an individual with a very sharply bordered coloration. I couldn't see any pictures on a cursory image search that are even close to this sharp, but I suppose it's possible?

I guess we'll have to find more and see if it's just one, or several individuals. (And hunt those day-time pictures!)

πŸ˜‰

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

If the dark stripe didn't widen so much on the rump...

Bay Duiker: http://www.ultimateungulate.com/Artiodactyla/Cephalophus_dorsalis.html

Posted

thank you Quia,

the night videos are really difficult...letΒ΄s see if someone finds a day one.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

ACP0000ecc

Another night video, but at a different angle, showing off the black stripe all the way up the back and neck. From this angle it looks very similar to the Bay Duiker.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Found a more exhaustive description of the Bay Duiker that seems to match with our funny black-backed images! My highlight on the particularly relevant bit.

A medium-sized, heavily built duiker with a coarse coat and a somewhat porcine visage. The general color is bright chestnut red with lighter underparts, a sharply defined black dorsal band, a blackish midline on the belly, and brownish black legs. There is much individual variation in the extent of the black markings and in the intensity of the black coloration. The dorsal band usually begins at the top of the neck and ends at the tail, but in some specimens it extends from nose to tail with a break between the horns, and in others it may be indistinct or absent on neck and shoulders. In some individuals the black of the dorsal band spreads out on the lower back and rump, or may spread over the shoulders to connect with the legs. The tail is black with a pronounced white tuft. The head is brown, with a lighter stripe above the eyes. Lips and chin are white. Head tuft is absent or poorly developed. The muzzle is short and strongly tapered. Ears are brownish black on the back, whitish inside. Inguinal (groin) glands are present. Bay duikers are entirely dark at birth, the chestnut color and black markings developing after several months. The horns (both sexes) are round, slender spikes that are lightly ringed at the base and grow backward in the plane of the face. Females are larger than males, with slimmer horns, a narrower dorsal stripe, and less extensive black markings.

On that note, the places I'm finding information while looking up african wildlife are... different. Tossup whether or not they'll be ecology conservation sites or hunting sites or sometimes both.

Posted

• jokergirl by jokergirl

Sounds likely then! I have one here http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP00003v7 that is similar but has no distinct spot on the back. So I'm willing to buy that classification, still going to look for more videos though πŸ˜ƒ

ETA: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP00005gk seems like somewhere between the two. Getting more and more likely.

Posted

• anocan by anocan

This looks like him, too.

ACP00009kw

Posted

• anocan by anocan

ACP0000ajn

Similar markings, good view of the entire length of the stripe, but maybe not wide enough on the rump to be the same animal?

Posted

• anocan by anocan

ACP0000b1r

Not the best view, but stripe appears broad.

Posted

• anocan by anocan

ACP00003iv

The very next video - this could be him by daylight.

Posted

• glashelder by glashelder

ACP00007f8

A marked duiker with a baby πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• anocan by anocan

ACP0000axd

Another nighttime video.

Posted

• glashelder by glashelder

The Bay duiker is under Red duiker in the field guide, by the way:

Use this option to mark small to medium duikers with chestnut-red fur; for example: the bush duiker which is small and reddish-brown, or the Bay duiker, notable for its red body colour and black stripe down its back. Like other duikers, they have arched backs,stocky bodies and slender legs.

Posted

• anocan by anocan

ACP0000cj1

I haven't seen a single chimp for hours, all I get are marked red duikers!

Posted

• anocan by anocan

ACP00007o9

Here are mother and baby again. Baby is ahead of mum and a bit difficult to see. Watch for its eyes towards the end of the video.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Are all of these being seen at Quiet Wood?

Posted

• anocan by anocan

All mine are from Quiet Wood. The list is currently:

ACP00009kw
    ACP0000ajn
    ACP0000b1r
    ACP00003iv
    ACP0000axd
    ACP0000cj1
    ACP00007o9

Update: Another one. It never ends: ACP00004f6.

And: ACP0000031

Posted

• jokergirl by jokergirl

http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP00003co I think that's one as well, though the mark isn't so clear here.

All of the specimens in my collection are from Quiet Wood so far: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPS00005o

ETA: If this one ACP000060z is one of them, it has a nice portrait closeup πŸ˜ƒ But the mark is rather fuzzy on that specific duiker, so I'm not 100% sure that it should belong in the group.

Posted

• anocan by anocan

Here's a sighting in Cool Silence:

ACP0002b9w

Posted

• Ozro by Ozro

Is the black area on the back an actual "mark" . i.e.. human created, natural to the species, or unique to the particular animal????

Posted

• anocan by anocan

Mother and baby again:

ACP00007ir

Posted

• jokergirl by jokergirl

Here's one from Cool Silence: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP0002bpn

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Nice collection growing here! The babies are neat to see, Bay Duiker young are born completely dark, and grow into their pretty red coats and black stripes. Makes sense for a largely nocturnal species, so much easier to hide!

@Ozro the black area is a natural marking, the species has a black stripe down the back that has quite a bit of variation between individuals, it may or may not widen at the shoulders or rump, and may or may not go all the way up the shoulders-neck-head.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Here's another one at Cool Silence 5, ACP0002b3r Night, but a nice view from back of the head to rump.

Posted

good morning Quia πŸ˜‰
    red-flanked duikers are a little bit smaller than bay duikers and have a black nose...
    if it was a red-flanked duiker, it should be bright orange red on face, neck and flanks...I go for bay duiker.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Good morning! 1am here. πŸ˜‰

Thanks for your input. I've also found this confusing species with it's multilple subspecies all with different colours of legs and tails and length of black stripes! It definitely isn't the titular duiker in this thread, but might apply to some of the other black-marked duikers we're finding. http://www.ultimateungulate.com/Artiodactyla/Cephalophus_ogilbyi.html

Posted

• anocan by anocan

Here are red duikers with completely black backs:

ACP00004ez
    ACP00004dy

Posted

• anocan by anocan

Is this a shadow or a very peculiar rump colouring?

ACP00001wb

Edit: Oh! I found a very similar looking one a few minutes later: Are those the yellow-backed duikers (see under Dark Duikers) described in the field guide?

ACP00008xa

Posted

• anocan by anocan

Black-marked duikers again:

ACP000024n
    ACP0000cij

Posted

• jokergirl by jokergirl in response to anocan's comment.

Yes, as far as I understand that the light triangle on the rump is the yellow-backed duiker.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

This thread needs more scientist input! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• jokergirl by jokergirl

Finally I spotted one of them in daylight! ACP0002og1 Not the widest mark, but quite distinct top stripe anyway.

duiker

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator in response to jokergirl's comment.

With a paler underbelly, and the stripe stopping before the tail, this might actually be a Brooke's duiker. πŸ˜‰ One of the subspecies of Cephalophus ogilbyi that I linked to earlier. There are a small handful of species that have the dorsal black stripe.

Posted

• anocan by anocan

ACP0002bqm

This one has a strange white stripe down the side as well as a black stripe along the back.

Posted

• anocan by anocan

ACP0002b4v

Nice view of black-backed mother and child.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator in response to anocan's comment.

I wonder if that white mark is a scar?

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to Quia's comment.

It could be!

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Here's a nice shot of definitely not a bay duiker, the stripe's too narrow and it doesn't go up the the back of the neck.

ACP0002ko9

Posted

• kerebeth by kerebeth

I have seen a few of these black-marked duikers (with the black stripe down the back, widening above the tail). Is there a consensus on what they are? Are we saying it is not a bay duiker? Would it be coded as a red duiker?

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

They are all coded as red duikers. It's a catch all category, a lot of the red-coated duikers are very hard to tell apart, especially since they don't always show off from all angles!

The ones with the stripe widening above the tail are Bay Duikers, Cephalophus dorsalis. The stripe goes from the back of the head and all the way down the tail, and can, but doesn't have to, widen on the rump above the tail. It's also nocturnal, so the most noticeable thing about it is that black stripe, since we can't see its lovely red coat.

There are a number of other species that have black stripes down the back! We've got a couple so far in this discussion, but the bay seems to be the most numerous.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Well I just got a video to watch that I really wasn't expecting! I got the individual with the white stripe, a few weeks earlier, and in better light! She kindly turns around to show that the white mark is only on one side, making it even more likely that it's an old injury of some kind. You can sort of see the hair around the white line is irregular.

ACP0002ba1

It's also a gorgeous video for trying to ID the species, I'll see what I can do a bit later today. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• kerebeth by kerebeth

Thanks, Quia!. I hadn't realised there were 5 pages of discussion on this topic (must stop reading on my phone). πŸ˜‰

Posted