Chimp & See Talk

Monkey ID?

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Also seen in ACP0000lt0 and ACP0000lt3. The footage isn't that clear and I don't even really know what species might be present in this area, so I don't want to start guessing.

Thanks!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Guessing just for fun... moustached guenon (Cercopithecus cephus)? Dark speckles on top of head, lighter at the cheeks, darker muzzle with a light band at the mouth, dark body but light on chest, veeerrry long coppery tail. Shy Waterfall is Gabon/Cameroon, I believe.

monkey

Posted

Could this be another of the same kind? ACP0000dm4

Posted

I wonder if yours could be a red-tailed monkey? Mine I think is out of their range though....

Posted

Yep, red-tailed monkey is a good call on the one in Quiet Wood. Good job. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

hey detectives ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Shy Waterfall 2 covers Equatorial Guinea too. I think we are watching a Red Colobus here. They have small heads and long body and tail and are red (obviously ๐Ÿ˜ƒ ), white, black, brown and grey.

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

Thanks, @NuriaM! There are SO many species, and when we can't get a good look, sometimes it feels like throwing a dart at a dartboard! Do you agree with red-tailed monkey in ACP0000dm4?

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

hm...this one is tricky; the video quality is not the best. But it could be. Red-tailed monkeys have white cheeks like yours...but unfortunately we canยดt see the color of the tail well. But itยดs a good guess anyway ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• tsering by tsering

I think this might be a guenon - if it is, anyone know which species?

Posted

This video actually already has a discussion going -- I'm merging the threads. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

For comparison, I believe this is a # red-tailed (new hashtag) monkey. See the lower left corner.

monkey

Posted

Nice!

Posted

And while we're IDing monkeys in this thread, I'm going to share a few more that we haven't ID'd yet. Anyone know?

1. This one, found in Quiet Wood.
      ACP0000eec

monkey

2) This one, with young, found in Muddy Frost. Is it a Red Colobus? If so, what species? ACP0004hm8

monkey2

3. This one, found in Muddy Frost. Is it a Western Red Colobus? ACP0004tgn

monkey3

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

Hi @ksigler,

I am going to be VERY brave in my assumptions ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. this one is really hard, but the range (Quiet Wood), the white beard, the dark `bangsยด and the brownish color make me think of a possible Pennantยดs red Colobus (Piliocolobus penanti). But still not 100% sure!!
    2. this one I would say olive colobus (Procolobus verus), although they have a greenish olive upperside which graduates to brown on the back. Olive colobus have a funny hair crest like yours. The range would fit too... one one one
    3. and the last one, I agree with you, it looks like a Western Red Colobus to me too ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Hi everyone, sorry to be a downer but Pennant's colobus is outside the range of Quiet Wood, so i do not think it is that. My vote is rather for central african red colobus eg: http://www.birdquest-tours.com/galleryImages/ai_1342834515222.jpg

Posted

What about this one (found by @Quia and posted http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000d/discussions/DCP00006lk)?

(Sorry the preview isn't great, it's from ACP0002nil in cool silence)
    enter image description here

@NuriaM said previously she thought perhaps Callithrix monkey, but to me the body form and looong tail seem more colobine. But I'm no monkey expert! (Though I have learned a LOT recently from C&S!)

Posted

I think the green monkey does not range as south as Cool Silence so I would say that is out. My first instinct was black and white colobus (king's colobus)so I agree with you - I think it could be a red colobus too. Very tricky one!

Posted

Thanks, @NuriaM and @MimiA !

About #1, I guess I'm not convinced of Central African Red Colobus. I found this later clip that briefly shows the back and tail. Does this help confirm or refute the ID? ACP0000eed

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

I have no better guess with that extra clip ๐Ÿ˜‰ but tell me why you disagree with central african red colobus and we can maybe move from there? (although i agree, it is not an easy call!)

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

I know there can be variations, and the taxonomy for this one seems a bit complex, but I've looked at quite a few photos of the Central African Red Colobus and here are the points that make me unsure of the ID:

• The top of the head in the Central African Red Colobus (CARC from now on!) is solid bright reddish-orange, while the monkey in the clip looks speckled and olive.
    • Above the forehead, the monkey in the clip has a white spot in the fur and the forward-facing tuft at the brow (also seen in the agile mangabey). I haven't seen a CARC with that kind of "part" in the fur.
    • Most of the CARCs I've seen have pointy spikes of fur above or around the ear. The one in the clip doesn't have this.
    • Looking at the clip that shows the body, the tail seems shorter (quick view, soft argument) and the body color seems a uniform medium gray. CARCs appear to have layers of gray and white, and their fur seems longer and silkier.

They do have in common the black skin on the face, the darker band of fur above the forehead, and the white beard.

I don't have a better suggestion to propose, but what do you think about these points?

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

I think agile magabey is a very good alternative - now when I look at the two options I also would go with agile mangabey!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

Okay, cool! I didn't originally mean to propose it as an agile mangabey, but I'm glad you agree it's a closer fit. Thanks for hearing me out. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

What about the guy in back in ACP0003xxe (found by @Mercury82)? Looks like a colobus to me

Posted

yes, me too! though he/she is quite far and hidden so hard to say for sure

Posted

• Mercury82 by Mercury82

I checked the previous sequences and found a better shot of it:

https://static.zooniverse.org/www.chimpandsee.org/subjects/5520367869736d72e6305d01/previews/5520367869736d72e6305d01_5.jpg

Maybe you can ID it now? (I myself think, it looks like the other mangabeys around, but well. I am no zoologist)
    ACP0003xxb

Posted

It definitely looks like a mangabey now! Good work ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Posted

That is an interesting find! I'm not even sure if the body coloration is normal -- does it look like it's missing hair on the arms/legs to you?

Posted

I still don't have any ideas on @AnLand's find from yesterday, but I have a new one: ACP0005ebk, ACP0005ebl, ACP0005ebm, ACP0005ebn in Crimson Dew. Not great views in any clip, but the best is in the first:

One waaay in back, and a tail to the left.

Posted

I've got another one: ACP0004055, ACP0004056, ACP0004057, ACP0004058. Olive colobus? From Muddy Frost

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

I would agree with olive colubus on this one. The lighting probably makes the colors look dull, but otherwise I think it looks like the olive colobus ID'd earlier in this thread.

Posted

In Dry Lake 11, we are seeing what I believe are green monkeys (Chlorocebus sabaeus). Can someone please confirm? Thanks!

From ACP00070b0:

monkey

Posted

• northernlimitptv by northernlimitptv scientist, moderator

It's Chlorocebus aethiops, @ksigler!

Posted