Chimp & See Talk

Clarify brookes duiker black stripe

• Snorticus by Snorticus

So all red duikers we see with black back stripes should be tagged #brookes_duiker whether the black stripe ends at the tail OR runs all the way down the tail, is this correct?

Because ogilby's duiker (red with a black stripe all the way down the tail) does not live in the regions we are viewing?

This night shot confused me. ACP0003q6q

![duiker with black back stripe continuing down tail ]

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

This one's a Bay Duiker. They're nocturnal, and the stripe goes all the way down the back and onto the tail. And if you happen to catch one during the day, they're a much darker reddish-brown than the Brooke's and Ogilby's, with white spots above the eyes.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Thanks @Quia. I keep seeing these in night clips and wondered how to hashtag them.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Red duikers in West Africa can be:
    Red flanked duiker
    brooke's duiker or
    bay duiker

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

And red-flanked have darker backs, but no stripe - right?

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

As I understand it, yes 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

So because of the location in Muddy-Frost-7 this is a Brookes Duiker then, and not a Bay Duiker, and the configuration of the black striping (ending on the rump vs. continuing on down the tail) cannot be relied upon to differentiate between the two?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

No, I understand it this way: if the black stripe ends before reaching the tail and it's Muddy Frost - then it is a brooke's duiker. If the black stripe ends at/with the tail and it's Muddy Frost - it's a bay duiker.

(The more interesting question is how to distinguish them when Ogilby's and bay duikers are present at other sites. I hope that @Quia is right then that we in principle can distinguish between night and day active and that the color of the bay duikers is really darker if - rarely - seen in daylight.) But for Muddy Frost it should be clear.

Posted