Chimp & See Talk

Bush baby?

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP0003rap did @jwidness find a bush baby?

https://static.zooniverse.org/www.chimpandsee.org/subjects/5520364a69736d72e6a23b01/previews/5520364a69736d72e6a23b01_4.jpg

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

The credit should go to @AnLand, who first spotted it in ACP0003raq!

#muddyfrost

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to jwidness's comment.

Thanks for correcting that credit to @AnLand! 😉

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

I've been hoping to see a bush baby! It kind of looks like the animal seen quickly in this clip, also found by @AnLand: ACP0003k3e

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

You guys are amazing!!!! the species that it could be is the dwarf galago (Galago demidovii), take a look online and see if you think it could be a match - if yes, please hashtag it!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

From what I see: size, big eyes, tail - yes, looks like the ones you see at google. I also would exclude the other choices: rat and squirrel. So, I am tagging the videos mentioned here. Let me know if you think otherwise and I remove the tags. I tag with #galago (or would you prefer #bushbaby or both?)

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

You can decide AnLand and then maybe ask Quia to add whatever you choose to the list of hashtag groups - thanks! Maybe also Tag with dwarf_galago since we will possibly get other species at other sites (I have to admit we didn't think we would get any nocturnal primates on the cameras so this is fantastic!)

Posted

I agree that the other possible choices (rat/squirrel) aren't as good a fit as dwarf galago. So exciting! I think we had some good teamwork figuring it out too 😃

As for the other video ( ACP0003k3e), I think I'm leaning more toward agreeing with @Snorticus that it's a juvenile mangabey. The brief glimpse of the body looks a bit big for a galago, and ACP0003k3a (which contains a mangabey) is the start of the next 1 minute sequence recorded on the same camera.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to jwidness's comment.

As for ACP0003k3e there are fairly loud mangabey vocalizations off camera so I think juvenile mangabey, though the hopping landing movement is still a bit odd.

Posted

Do you think this is another galago: ACP00058qp (found by @Corcaroli)

enter image description here

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

Looks like it...

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator

Definitely! 😃

Posted

What about this one: ACP00050c9 found by JamieSC

enter image description here

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator

Very likely, but hard to say for sure.

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

See lower left corner. Such a cute little thing... another galago, or bush baby?

ACP0004y98

bush baby?

Posted

That would be my vote 😃

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

mine too! great find! please hashtag the video 😃

Posted