Chimp & See Talk

Hunting discussion - Man with gun carries dead Diana Monkey

• Rattus by Rattus

A disturbing sight:
    Man with gun carries dead Diana Monkey slung over his shoulder.
    Poacher?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Oh, that's a bad one 😦

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Hi @Rattus,

it is a disturbing sight. But at this site, it is allowed to hunt species that are not specifically protected. I think, diana monkeys are not a protected species, but cannot find a list about that. We had a discussion about the general hunting topic here: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000c/discussions/DCP0000dzf

So, most probably a hunter, but that does not mean he is a poacher or that he is doing something illegal here. Please keep that in mind.

Posted

• drobinso by drobinso

Not even going to look at it.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

I have been wondering this a lot since we started talking about it. Today I found this: https://www.hcvnetwork.org/resources/global-hcv-toolkits/draft-national-interpretation-for-liberia see page 37 😦

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

So are they saying that the government of Liberia has decided that most of the species we classify and tag are fully protected animals not to be hunted at all?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

I was only able to scroll through the pages this morning (will look into it later), but my interpretation is that it is a summary of the existing measures (and laws) and a description of conversation status (with recommendations) for Liberia. But I cannot find a link to the actual legal documents.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

I am not 100% sure if the laws have passed or if these are just recommendations but based on the above link and also this, it seems that's what it means: http://www.au.int/en/sites/default/files/AFRICAN_CONVENTION_CONSERVATION_NATURE_NATURAL_RESOURCES.pdf

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

and i also found this: http://data.communitiesconnect.net/kbase/05424d82-e050-400b-ba0f-b3df4bdd28b3/resource/73a80f56-35ab-4968-8181-54618adc17d7/download/Posterenglfinal-opt.pdfLiberia protected species

Posted

• Rattus by Rattus

On the Endangered Species Scale, Diana Monkeys are rated as "Vulnerable".
    Zoos classify this species as "Endangered".
    Diana Monkeys are threatened by poaching.
    Learned this from watching wildlife documentaries.
    The monkeys are colourful, therefore easily seen by bushmeat hunters.

Still shaken up by what I saw on the Chimp and See Camera Trap video.
    Thanks for showing the "Liberia's Protected Wildlife Poster": it's very useful information.

There are Duikers and other animals that are endangered too.
    It's so sad, but people who live near the jungle are hungry and need to eat.
    Some people are trying to set up Cane Rat "Grass Cutter" Farms as an alternative food source to primate meat.
    See:

How to Start Grasscutter Farming in Nigeria and Ghana

Research Article The Grasscutter I: A Livestock of Tomorrow M.N. Opara

Farming Rats and Bees Could Solve Bushmeat Crisis in Africa, Experts Say

I have never eaten cane rat before, but apparently people say it tastes good.

Thank you for your all support and comments.

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator

Thanks for sharing the documents, @MimiA It seems to be a difficult problem to me 😕

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to Rattus's comment.

There are various alternative protein source initiatives out there, we have had good success with giant african land snails: http://clubpan.blogspot.de/search/label/Giant African Snails

we had tried a cane rat project but it did not work out so well for us, snails are really easy to raise (they are hermaphrodites and eat fallen vegetation) and they provide a lot of protein quickly!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

I've read in numerous places that enforcement of the protection is difficult because, at least in some areas, the rangers don't carry guns and don't like to enter the forest and face the poachers (who are obviously well armed). So they usually rely on checkpoints where people leave the forest, or checks at markets and things like that, but at that point, the damage is done. I see much more potential in the alternative protein programs than in laws. It won't stop the "exotic" bushmeat demand, but will reduce the everyday need.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

A recent-ish paper from our department shows that law enforcement is critical in ape conservation 😃

http://www.mpg.de/4686566/great_ape_survival

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

That's good news (and proof that I'm but an arm-chair naturalist)! I didn't mean to imply that only one strategy was important, though, if that's how it sounded. Obviously there are multiple strategies in place that have an impact. I see it also mentions that development has a negative impact. This is an important dilemma in my opinion. Particularly from the point of view of a (in some places, over-) developed country, trying to convince less developed countries that they need to be smart about their development and preserve large areas for wildlife. Understanding and dealing with the mindsets of living for me/now vs. living for the future is an interesting thing to ponder.

Posted

• leo811sf by leo811sf

Awful you had to see that. I am new here, just over an hour of viewing videos. Saw one, with stills of Man with large knife. Hit the wrong button and video skipped. I thought combo of curious, could that be? and don't need to see that. Thankfully i hit that wrong button, as reading here you saw horror, I'm glad I didn't. Has anyone else seen the one I'm talking about? First still shows man/knife?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Hi @leo811sf,

Without the actual video (and more than one research site open), it is hard to say what you really saw. That's why only some general remarks.

A big knife (machete) would not worry me much. The field team, park rangers etc. - all carry and use them to get through the forest and e.g. clean the area around the camera (so that no plant is growing too fast and triggers constantly the motion detector). They are not used for hunting.

At least for Restless Star, I am also sure that most persons carrying a gun (with the field team and with tourist groups) are park rangers guarding the animals. In my opinion, the guns are not necessarily carried because animals might attack, but against poachers. Here you are right. There are poachers, but not everybody carrying a gun is a poacher or doing something illegal.

I hope that helps a bit to understand what you might see here.

Thanks for your interest!

Posted