Chimp & See Talk

Duiker with white throat?

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Not sure about this one, other than a #red_duiker of some sort... Anyone know? Darkish face, white throat, short horns, large light ears with dark around the outside, reddish body, no dorsal stripe, thin dark tail has a white tip.

Weyns? Red-flanked? Black-fronted? Something else? Seen in: ACP000bz80 ACP000bz81 ACP000bz90 ACP000bz91 ACP000bz92 ACP000bz93

Front view from ACP000bz92:

enter image description here

Side view from ACP000bz81:

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Black fronted duiker. I suspect that the white throat patch is more common than it seems, it's not often the camera angle is low enough to catch the underside of the throat on these little guys.

I have a small collection of videos where the throat patch is visible from when we were trying to disentangle the ids for all the duikers, this one fits right in!

ACP000bh06 ACP000cbp5 ACP000beeu

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to Quia's comment.

Very cool, thanks for verifying, @Quia !

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

amazing @Quia! thanks!!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

oh yes cool, so we can continue to tag them as black-fronted 😃

Is this also the same species in this video ACP000brc6 ? I think we can shortly see the white patch but full grown horns. Do the short horns in the initial video of @ksigler indicate that this is a young one?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

This is something I wanted to ask since a long time and I think this is the right place now 😃

I wonder if this is the same species of duiker? ACP000cdkf

It has also a black nose but very sharp drawn in comparance with the duikers above. I can't see a white area on the throat either. Other than that there's also a white tip on the tail and the darker legs.

and on of @Quia 's collection of the black-fronted_duiker:

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

I may be wrong, but I believe that is also a black-fronted. The dark face is what gives it the black-fronted name, but apparently the blaze can be more or less defined (maybe it differs by sub-species, location, or just individual coloration?). Plus the dark chestnut tail with white, and dark legs, as you mentioned...I can't think of what else it could be with that appearance.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

It certaily has a black front, yes 😃 I think it's also that species that sometimes is very dark, more brown than red. Maybe @Quia knows more about those two?

And here is another clip of the first species above for Quia's collection! ACP000bed7
    When it shakes it's head the white spot can be seen very well.

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

#restlessstar

Posted