Chimp & See Talk

Humans close behind chimps

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Are the chimps at green snowflake habituated? These two humans seem to be following quite closely behind the chimps. Humans we've previously seen in other sites follow at a greater distance is why I am wondering if these are researchers or other humans. Everyone seems nervious & in a hurry, both the chimps & the humans.

Full Series - ACP000dg2m ACP000dg2o ACP000dg2q ACP000dg2s

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

When we planned the data collection zone it was supposed to be on an unhabituated community of chimps but it turned out that the habituated community used some of the area too which is why you will occasionally see researchers on camera here 😉 Great question!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

I wonder where all those chimps are heading? According to the timestamp it's early afternoon.

It looks as if there are nothing but male and male juveniles in this group.
    Do they keep strictly to themselvesat this site or this part ot Africa?

From Restlessstar, also in this area, I remember mixed groups and also from West African sites.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

It could be a patrol.

West African female chimps are thought to be more gregarious than East African chimps but the more we learn about chimps, the more we realize that these distinctions are not so cut and dry for sure!

Patrols and hunts tend to be more of a male activity but females will join in both eastern and western populations 😃

Here's a bit of extra reading for example 😃 https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/10/051018072735.htm

Posted

Oh wow, interesting read, thanks Mimi! It reminds be a bit of some human street gangs - I guess their IQ does not vary much from the chimps' IQ 😕 ...it might be lower, actually 😛

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to MimiA's comment.

What a good link, thank you!

"During boundary patrols, a group of males will rise without warning, form a single file line and silently depart the group, Mitani said. The behavior is markedly different from normal feeding parties, which are loud and scattered." I wonder what the signal for this is & how far ahead the activity is planned?

(Also interesting links at bottom of that page, and lol to Heidi)

Posted

Thanks for pointing out the other articles, @Snorticus. One of them at the bottom tells us something about the clay eating we are now tagging as well in the videos. Additionally towards the bottom of the article we also find some more information about the wood eating.

I love these articles because they are written in a very good way also readable for non-scientist!

Posted