Chimp & See Talk

Chimp dip

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

@Snorticus commented on this video and I think it's rather interesting to explore a bit further.

First the juvenile (a girl I think) has something in her mouth then goes down to the water. On the way down she takes it out of the mouth and dips it into the water. Then she sucks on it but going back up drops the piece to the ground. I think she wanted to wash this bit of assumed food and eat it but then decided not to.

That's how I see it - but maybe I'm interpreting too much? 😃

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Great find!!!

Its a chimp #sponge 😃 (let's add the hashtag!)

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2129077-chimps-pass-on-sponge-drinking-trick-like-a-family-tradition/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKJHY69G0kk

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Shows how unobservant I am 😦 - I hadn't noticed the sponge. Interesting article @MimiA - I hadn't heard of that before. Thanks for sharing it.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Batfan's comment.

I had looked at this clip several times before I noticed the sponge behavior, @Batfan It was a pretty quick action 😃

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan in response to Snorticus's comment.

I still should have seen it. Thank goodness you did - it would have been a real shame to have missed it.

Posted

No worries, @Batfan, I missed it too at the first sight of the clip 😃

What a clever behaviour. It would indeed be a shame to have missed it. Thanks Dawna!

Posted

@lauraklynn found another video ACP000dmsz with a sponge use. It's Vala! We can also see her doing it during the previous minute in ACP000dmqq (not yet classified, but for the sake of science I'm pulling it out 😃) In ACP000dmsz there's shortly seen a juvenile next to Vala.

So my conclusion would then be that the female juvenile using the sponge ought to be Vala's daugther?

Posted