Chimp & See Talk

African golden cat attack

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Wow. I think this is the 1st time in 3 years that I've seen an animal attack caught on camera. African golden cat attacking red colobus monkey.

ACP000drsn - ACP000drso

enter image description here

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Yup me too a first-timer - absolutely phantastic clip!

And yes you're right about the color, I corrected it, thanks!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Here is a bit more context about this daylight hunting video of an African golden cat: https://africageographic.com/blog/first-known-footage-of-african-golden-cat-hunting-in-daylight/

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

love that you guys found this 😃 !!!!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Thanks for the link Anja, I didn't know that this was actually so rare a sight! 😄

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Does that mean that the videos we are watching are not new? The clip @Anland shared was from an article from 2015...

Posted

The videos have been recorded at this site within the PanAf project in 2012 and 2013 as indicated by the video time stamps. In this case, the golden cat video has been released before we got to this site at Chimp&See.

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Ok thanks - I had thought that we were the first ones to see the videos on Chimp n See ...

Posted

Well, the field team checks of course the videos to make sure that there isn't a problem with quality or the view at a certain place and I guess - because of the rareness of this behavior - it has been released. Nevertheless, the videos at Chimp&See are usually not analysed in detail before, I think.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Awesome!! I love it 😃

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Hi, just as @AnLand says, the vast majority of the videos have not been watched and are not annotated which is why the data we collect on chimp&see is so important! thanks so much for your participation everyone 😃

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Thanks @Anland and @MimiA for the info - we love participating 😃

Posted