Chimp & See Talk

Tool use?

• puddock by puddock

The second chimp here appears to use a stick as a scratcher - any thoughts?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Interesting scene, thanks @puddock for asking this question. I wonder too what he does with that stick. I hope @NuriaM will have an explanation!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

I also think its being used as a scratcher, but I am going to ask around if anyone else has some insights 😃

Posted

• akalan by akalan scientist

This is pretty cool, the chimp briefly scratches himself with it and then places it between his thigh and body, chimps often use this natural 'pocket' as an additional way to carry or hold objects. He might be saving that piece of wood for later although it's hard to see because the view is blocked.

Posted

• maureenmccarthy by maureenmccarthy scientist, moderator

I agree! There is a brief scratch, and then he "pockets" it. This is also sometimes referred to as the 'pelvic pocket' or 'hip pocket' and it's a pretty cool way to be able to hang onto something you want to save for later. 😃

Posted

Thank you ladies!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

So, it's a tool although the chimp would not actually need it for its goal (scratching himself)? We've seen several instances that the chimps here "stored" or carried some wood and I was always under the impression, they were more interested in it as a food item, not for anything else. Isn't the enabling part important for the tool use? (I have really no idea here. It's just a question.)

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Awesome!

elephants also show this "hoarding behaviour" with food or sticks/vegetation used as tools: they hold food/stick between the trunk and a tusk, to be eaten/used later. They may eat other food while holding some between the trunk and one tusk.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

we generally do not consider scratching oneself tool use as the classical definitions either require the tool to not be used on the animal itsself or that the orientation of the tool is an important part of the tool use : https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003347208000122

he very well could be pocketing it for consumption and simply scratching before its use, without more video, we can't really know.

Posted

• puddock by puddock

That's really interesting - hadn't heard of 'pocketing' before - thanks!

Posted

Blondie is also pocketing some wood in ACP000dr90 😃

@MimiA, Should we install a new tag for pocketing?

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Nice spot!

Posted