Chimp & See Talk

chimp responds to humans

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Interesting - this chimp registers that humans are coming and very quickly runs away.

ACP000dvtj - ACP000dvtk - ACP000dvtl - ACP000dvtm

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I've seen that you tagged with "flees" - maybe we think about something more specific like "human_interaction or _reaction" (like the cross-species_interaction tag) or so that indicates that there is a reaction towards the presence of humans. I don't know a really good one right now, but others might have an idea.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

She's a clever girl, better save than sorry. I can't make out whether these are researchers or other people.
    As for the tag, I think cross-species_interaction would be correct here?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I don't recall seeing a clip where we can observe an unhabituated chimp's reaction to the presence of humans. Maybe you guys can think of more? I think Anja's suggestion for a specific tag is a good one. Let's think more on it & maybe we can come up with something succinct but not so long to type.

They look to have green on like rangers or they could be researchers or just regular humans - hard for me to tell what kind of humans they are at this distance 😉

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Spontaneously, I only remember this vocal-only video from Restless Star: ACP000cet4 and this discussion were you mentioned that the sniffing might be a reaction to the presence of humans here before.

This seems to be the field team

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

This certainly seems like rangers or researchers, great find everyone!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Ammie suggested #humanresponse - what do you guys think?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Sounds good to me. I think we could use it for any response to humans, for habituated and non-habituated chimps?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Okay, I tagged ACP000dvtj - ACP000cet4 - with #humanresponse Thanks Ammie. I didn't tag the discussion because the time between human & chimp presence makes it uncertain if it's humans or something else that the chimps are smelling & responding to.

Posted