Chimp & See Talk

Chimp count & ID?

• Snorticus by Snorticus

@HeikeW poses a good question here. In ACP000dl5a we see a juvenile (?) far left which makes the count #5_chimp Hard to see 5th chimp in the rest of the clips. What should the count be and who is the 5th chimp?

Full series - ACP000dl5a - ACP000dl5c - ACP000dl5d - ACP000dl5e

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Dawna I haven't seen your question yesterday, sorry!

Unfortunately the official guide for chimp counting says nothing about this question. However I think we had a discussion recently with exactly this question but I'm not able to find it anymore. As far as I remember the outcome was that we do not count hidden chimps, only when we are sure that we see at least a little bit of it. What I do in cases like this usually is writing the name of the hidden chimp without hashtag. This helps to ID them when they suddenly pop up later in another clip.

But maybe a sci-mod could weigh-in here to make thinks clear. I'll also ask Maureen to update the guide.

Now to your second question: The fifth chimp behind Kiana is Loika. We can shortly see her face. Besides this she is confirmed in the previous minute see ACP000dkwq 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Boleyn's comment.

Thanks, Heidi. I would not have classified the 5th chimp if it wasn't seen in that clip, but I'm still confused about the count in talk after we have another part of the sequence discovered & can see the chimp.

So: in talk count only chimps seen in that part of the sequence?

Or: in talk count all the chimps we know are actually there because they are seen in other parts of the sequence?

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

The official guidance asks that we only count the chimps seen per clip, not in the full sequence. You can also tag minimum and maximum counts where there is uncertainty, still in a single clip. So, I would interpret the guidance as, we count it as 4_chimp when the 5th isn't seen in a clip, and indicate the range of 4_chimp and 5_chimp when you think you see all 5 but aren't sure. There must be some process they have for reconciling when counts don't match in a sequence or counts don't match the number of names. An updated clarification from the sci mods would be good to have.

Posted

Thanks Kristeena!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Hi all, yes exactly as @Ksigler said 😃 "we count it as 4_chimp when the 5th isn't seen in a clip, and indicate the range of 4_chimp and 5_chimp when you think you see all 5 but aren't sure" Thanks everyone!

Posted

• maureenmccarthy by maureenmccarthy scientist, moderator

Hi everybody, thanks for this discussion! I totally agree with @ksigler too and I have updated the guide for chimp counting to reflect this more clearly:

You see a given chimpanzee in one clip, then in the next clip you can't see them but you're sure they must still be around.

In such cases, do not count them unless you actually see them in the clip. Chimpanzee parties are very fluid and we might make incorrect assumptions if we count individuals we can't actually see. If you aren't sure whether you still see the chimp in the associated clips or not, you can use two count hashtags: one for the minimum count and one for the maximum, as explained above.

Posted

Thank you so much, Maureen, that makes it very clear now - even to me 😉

Posted