Chimp & See Talk

Cross-species interaction

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

What is "fighting" with this duiker? A monkey jumping on it? Is it playing? First cross-species interaction I've seen here. #multispecies

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Totally not an answer to your question, but it made me think of this: http://tinyurl.com/oq7jflh -- Japanese macaques in certain areas are known to "ride" deer! (That's obviously not what's happening here, it just reminded me of it.)

#muddyfrost

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

😃 But nice!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I have been surprised at the lack of cross-species interaction in the clips. Each species seems to inhabit their own "space" by mutual agreement as they move around the forest. This is a very interesting clip, @AnLand!

Posted

The craziness continues with ACP0004sbm, ACP0004sbn, ACP0004sbo

Posted

I think they're diana monkeys -- best seen in ACP0004sbo

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to jwidness's comment.

Yes, the agitated duiker returns to bounce around the second duiker still grazing in the center of all those monkeys. Diana tails can be seen at the top of the frame and clearly a Diana descends the tree in ACP0004sbo. Also small monkeys seem to play in the tree towards the back.

Funny that the seconder duiker seems unfazed by the first duiker's entrances and exits and bounding about. Dianas always seem to be pretty rambunctious and unpredictable in the clips, I'd be a nervous duiker around them and urge my buddy to leave too, lol.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Great clip guys!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

There is earlier activity in this sequence in ACP0004sax ACP0004say ACP0004saz

In ACP0004sb0 the diana monkey stops in front of the center duiker and the 2nd duiker runs away to the right. After standing for awhile in front of the center duiker who doesn't respond, the diana runs up a tree. The 2nd duiker returns and touches noses with the center duiker.

Posted

From monkey expert Alex Mielke:

duikers do associate a lot with mangabeys, and other monkey species I guess, using the bigger groups as protection. At times, the duiker stays with the same group for several hours. They do sometimes interact; we have seen cases where the monkeys chase away the duikers, or the duikers run through the group scaring the monkeys, probably when they compete over food patches. I have once seen a group of about 10 mangabeys running after a terrified duiker. We have also seen more prosocial interactions, like play, especially when juvenile monkeys are involved, even quite physically with mounting and rough-and-tumble.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

Thank you, I did not think about the protection aspect, more about food competition. But makes sense.

Posted

Christophe Boesch also added that we can expect to see this with young chimps and duikers as well!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Is this another cross-species interaction? Hard to see, but I think a monkey is interacting with a duiker. The duiker snaps after him and the monkey climbs in a tree. Sorry bad video and in a distance. ACP0003ngf

Posted

seems so!

Posted

• friendlysceptic by friendlysceptic

What an awesome catch..... that's brilliant..

Posted

This was a fun set: ACP0004k4b, ACP0004k4c, ACP0004k4d, ACP0004k4e

Posted

Awesome!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

Maybe I don't get it, but I do not see any interaction here. Neither intra- nor interspecies. It is just #multispecies. Or do I misunderstand the concept and we are taking everything with more than one species as cross-species interaction? In that case I am annotating incorrectly.

Posted

I didn't mean to endorse any particular classification by putting the links in this thread -- I just thought they were interesting clips. 😃 All I know is what the field guide says (emphasis mine):

Animal is doing something (interacting) with another animal of a different species. Interacting means when the actions of one individual is followed by an action in another individual whereby the second appears to be a response to the first one. This does not include two different species just walking by the camera or simply appearing at the same time in the video.

I think one could argue that the diana monkeys are choosing to forage in that particular spot as a response to the duiker having foraged there, but it's somewhat ambiguous (and I agree that the mangabeys don't appear to be doing much). Maybe the science team can clarify?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to jwidness's comment.

I was looking at your clips in relation to what MimiA posted from monkey expert Alex Mielke:

"duikers do associate a lot with mangabeys, and other monkey species I guess, using the bigger groups as protection. At times, the duiker stays with the same group for several hours."

I think the duiker remaining completely calm next to the very active Dianas is interesting. (and also funny) It seems to show that they are accustomed to being in groups like this without feeling threatened by monkeys jumping & running all around them.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

You are right that in the series @jwidness posted there is not a clear interaction and the way you have been encoding the videos @AnLand is correct.

Nevertheless I think it is amazing that these animals are clearing tolerating each other's presence which is different than what we've seen in other clips when a monkey and bird is in the same clip for instance. I think in this case we can even say they are travelling together which is an interaction in a broader sense. But as I said, in the original classification scheme you would not say this is an interaction you would just make sure to annotate all the species.

Thanks!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

I'm inclined to say that this duiker is traveling with this troop of mangabeys. It is deliberately moving in the same direction, at the same speed (a bit of a hustle). Even when it stops to sniff around, it takes only a moment then keeps going.

ACP0004k78

multispecies

Posted

• Mercury82 by Mercury82

Here are two duikers and some mangabeys peacefully eating and foraging together:

ACP0003kq2 ACP0003kq3 ACP0003kq4 ACP0003kq5

Although in the second clip one of the mangabeys is crossing the frame as if stung by an adder 😃

Posted