Chimp & See Talk

Small grey duikers at Aged Violet

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

I wonder if we really are to tag all the small grey duikers at aged violet. There are obviously so many videos from this site (see discussions here) and so many are with these little flappers that I don't quite see the reason for tagging anymore.

Thanks for clarification.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Well the small grey duiker researchers viewing these clips in the future will appreciate the tags πŸ˜‰ Tagging chimps and classifying videos was the initial thrust of this project and I think it has evolved over time to include more options for voluntary tagging. My understanding is that it's up to you which things (if any - some people classify & never tag in Talk) you tag in the Talk section.

Posted

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp

For me, it depends on my day-form πŸ˜ƒ Some days its ok to tag every single duiker-butt, one other days I really are fed up with them, with agedViolet i asked this question not only with duikers but with human ... sometimes I think there are more researcher than chimps to see πŸ˜ƒ P.S. my compromise is to tag just "duiker" and think it must be ok, the duiker-scientist then can sort them out and give them the very special assignment I never ever would reach πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Hi guys - you are all right ! πŸ˜ƒ I am super happy you asked, these sorts of things are always open for discussion!

What has dipped a lot recently is the annotations and so if I could wave my magic wand I would ask for more annotating (the stuff you do at chimpandsee.org)

The next most important (or equally important) for our immediate research goals is the chimp identification and tagging

Next comes the tagging of the rarer species and primates and anything that doesn't have a species level annotation category (so for example, red river hog is already annotated but bongo is not, it just falls under large ungulate)

and then comes the rest of the tagging.

BUT

for sure you should do what you like the most, if you don't like the duiker tagging, skip it ! πŸ˜ƒ the beauty of citizen science is hopefully someone else will take over that task or we can re-evaluate and re-focus if some new patterns becomes evident πŸ˜ƒ

What will the grey duiker tags be used for?

1. We will use the data for population estimates - grey duikers are a food competitor with chimps and their density may tell us about human hunting pressure at a site!
    2. we will use it as a complementary data source to the annotations (the stuff you do on chimpandsee,org)
    3. They would be used, as you guys mentioned, for people doing duiker researcher to look deeper into questions they may have - but we can also give them the annotatin data for this
    4. and they will be useful for people needing images of grey duikers

tagging as "small grey duiker" or just "duiker" rather than to the species level is a bit redundant from the annotation data but it can also be used as additional information we can use in case the duiker annotation data is a bit fuzzy. Also the hashtags are a great short term solution for sharing our data while we analyze the thresholds from the annotation data.

Therefore I am very hesitant to say stop all together but if you are finding it boring, definitely focus on something else you enjoy more!!!

I hope that helps, I am super happy to talk about it more!

THANK YOU! DANKESCHOEN! MERCI!

Posted

Hey @MimiA thanks a lot for that thorough information! I'm happy to see that not all of the tagging is in vain πŸ˜ƒ But as you pointed out we already have a special category for annotation for small greys so I think I can skip it for Aged Violet. This saves some seconds for every video and I think we really should classify as much as possible in a site iwith so many movies.

Go tell the other scientists that there are LOTS of small grey duikers at this site and therefore the competition for the chimps is considerable. I know, it's a very unprofessional remark but I already had hundreds of them and only about 3 (in words three) chimp videos from AV.

Thanks again - you're doing a terrific job!!

Posted

Aaaand: There are LOTS of researcher as well ... maybe there is a special interesst in researching the researcher πŸ˜‰

Posted

LOL yes, but you don't need to tag them. You don't even need to finish these videos. As soon as I see a human I classify and click next πŸ˜ƒ Except there is something funny in it - like e.g. that one point at AV... I can't wait to see one of the girls glitching at this bridgelike crossing, you know the one with the logs... >;) ;D

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

In principle, I agree. I usually also classify the human videos without watching the full 15 seconds. But with the habituated apes at Restless Star and Aged Violet, you need to be more careful with that. There might be a gorilla or chimp next to them. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

@Boleyn ..-Did you see the clip where the reasearcher fell down the bridge? *grin ... I confess, that I had a bit of laughter (after it was clear, that he didnt hurt himself)

ACP000g4cx and ACP000g4cz

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Thank you everyone! YOU GUYS ARE DOING A TERRIFIC JOB!!! πŸ˜ƒ

Thank @AnLand for pointing out the fact that with the animals at habituated at sites we can have #multispecies with apes and humans!

also, it is helpful if you tag #researcher, #antipoaching or #hunter when you can tell the difference and you feel like taking that extra time πŸ˜ƒ

thanks!!

Posted

@AnLand and @MimiA thanks you two. Yes, sites with habituated apes are of course different but where I always classify fast and click asap forward is when the field team are handling the cameras. There is not only nothing interesting to see but it's also much too loud especially when you classify with the headphones on.

@luca-chimp: hehe, thanks for sharing! so it already happened. Well yes, thankfully no harm done except maybe to his pride... πŸ˜„

Posted